Subject: link-local/optional capabilities signaling

From: "Juan A. Rubio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 16:49:39 -0600

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding exchange of optional capabilities in OSPFv2 in
general and link-local signaling in particular.

In draft-nguyen-ospf-lls-02.txt the LLS block may be attached to type-1
and type-2 packets (HELLOs and DBDs). Is there any reason to not attach
these LLS blocks to other packet types?. I know that in OSPFv2 the Options
field is present in Hello packets, DBD packets and the LSA header. That
means that there is optional capabilities info in packets other that
type-1 and type-2, in particular type-3, UPDATE packets. So, is there any
reason to specifically avoid link-local/optional capabilities signaling in
other packet types?.

Juan

---

From: Liem Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 19:10:25 -0400

Juan,

> reason to specifically avoid link-local/optional capabilities signaling in

There's no technical reason, just unnecessary.
The purpose is to "signal" and exchange capability, so it's suffice
to convey such information during neighbor/adjacency bring-up.

Liem