Subject: DR election

From: Dror <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 06:57:34 -0400

Hi,

I have a question regarding a DR election algorithm.  If I have a netowrk
with 3 routers R1,-R3, each having the same priority and with router IDs
0.0.0.1, 0.0.0.2, 0.0.0.3 respectively.

After a DR election process is done, R3 will be DR, R2 will be BDR and R1
will be DR-Other.  This is the result of the DR election process since R3
has the largest router ID.

If I add a new router R4 with router ID 0.0.0.4, do I expect R4 to become
the DR, or does it just become another DR-other since there is already a DR
in the network.

Does the result depend on whether R4 is connected to the network when it is
still in the WAIT state, or the result is the same nevertheless.

Thanks
Dror

---

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 07:55:39 -0400

As long as there is already a dr on the link, R4 would not take over as the
DR. Or it shouldn't. Think of it this way: The DR isn't elected first, the
BDR is. Then the routers attached to the link "discover" there is no DR,
and promote the BDR to DR, and elect a new BDR.

:-)

Russ

> still in the WAIT state, or the result is the same nevertheless.

__________________________________
[email-masked] CCIE <>< Grace Alone