Subject: multi-hop OSPF

From: alok <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 12:41:23 +0530

Hi,

is there any draft etc. suggesting a "multi-hop" flavor of OSPF?

What i need is:

R1(OSPF)-----R2----R3(OSPF)

R1 and R3 should form adjacencies....

[dont say "tunnel" ;-) ]

just wondering if there is a draft or any work ever done to this effect..

-thanks and rgds
Alok

---

From: Rikki Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 17:37:04 -0700

just wondering what would be the usefulness of this?  if R2 is not
part of the OSPF routing domain, then it will not know of the routes
exchanged between R1 and R3.  all transit traffic will be dropped.

if R2 did know about those routes, it won't be from OSPF.  it would
have to be from some other configuration or protocol.  and if, by
chance, that protocol isn't consistent with the way OSPF chooses
its paths, you'll have routing loops on your hand.

---

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:39:46 -0700

Alok,

        Why don't you / can't you form adj between R1 / R3
        and eliminate R2?

        If R2 doesn't speak OSPF, then your
        "is there any draft etc. suggesting a "multi-hop" flavor of OSPF?"
        doesn't apply to R2, if such a RFC did exist?

        Mitchell Erblich
        Sr. Software Engineer