Subject: Extensions to OSPF for Advertising Optional Router Capabilities

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 15:30:46 -0400

I've respun the subject draft with some minor corrections.
We've discussed it at the last three IETFs and there has been
some (although light) discussion on the OSPF List. There are now
at least three proposed applications. Unless there is
vehement opposition, we intend to add this as a WG document shortly
after the Vienna IETF (when the window for new drafts opens again)

<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lindem-ospf-cap-01.txt>

Thanks,
--
Acee

---

From: Vivek Dubey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:05:03 +0530

Hi Acee,
"If a type 11 opaque LSA
is chosen, the originating router should also advertise type 10
LSA(s) into any attached NSSA/stub area(s). The choice of flooding
scope is made by the advertising router and is a matter of local
policy."

Taking it otherwise, if NSSA ABR or ABR with attached STUB area
receives a Type 11 capability LSA (from some other router), should
it originate a Type 10 for its attached NSSA/STUB ??

E.g
Suppose Router R1(with attached NSSA/STUB) implements a policy "A"
and decides to originate Type 11 capability LSA (it will originate Type 10
attached in NSSA/STUB).

Another router R2(with no attached NSSA/STUB) in same AS implements
same policy "A" and originated Type 11 capability LSA.
Now should router R1 on receiving this LSA pass on this information
into attached NSSA/STUB areas?

Since the policy which decided the scope is same in both routers,
isn't capability info is of interest to routers internal to STUB/NSSA.

thanks,
vivek

-----Original Message-----
From: Mailing List [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Acee
Lindem
Sent: Wednesday, 2 July 2003 1:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Extensions to OSPF for Advertising Optional Router Capabilities

Thanks,
--
Acee

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL)
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for
what it is intended.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message.
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:03:17 -0400

> it originate a Type 10 for its attached NSSA/STUB ??

Hi Vivek,

I don't think this type of translation is necessary. Also, it is
somewhat counter to the goal of limiting the LSAs advertised into
a stub/NSSA area. If a very compelling application comes along then
maybe we could consider it in the future.

Thanks,
Acee

--
Acee