Subject: Advertising Type-7 LSAs for a defaul route

From: Mike Cleary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:23:27 -0500

Greetings,
I am a tester for the UNH-IOL routing consortium and I was wondering if
anyone can help me.  I am working on developing a test suite for testing
OSPF-NSSA.  I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a Type-7 that
advertises a default route.  The test should test section 2.4 and
section 2.7.  The part of the RFC that I am trying to test is described
by this:
NSSA border routers must originate an LSA for the default destination
into all their directly attached NSSAs in order to support intra-AS
routing and inter-AS routing.  This default destination is advertised in
either a Type-3 LSA or a Type-7 LSA, as described in Section 2.7.
If anyone knows of a test setup that I can use to create a Type-7 LSA as
described above it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Mike

--
*********************************************
Michael Cleary     Email: [email-masked]
Routing Consortium   UNH InterOperability Lab
121 Technology Dr., Suite 2, Durham, NH 03824
Phone: 603-862-3941    http://www.iol.unh.edu
*********************************************

---

From: Farshad Tavallaei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:58:03 -0800

Mike,

Have you tried creating a static default route and then redistributing
it into OSPF?

Farshad

-----Original Message-----
From: Mailing List [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mike
Cleary
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 12:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Advertising Type-7 LSAs for a defaul route

Greetings,

---

From: Mike Cleary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:11:29 -0500

How would you configure a static default route?  I know how to configure
static routes but do you mean to take and create 0.0.0.0 as a static route?

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:37:47 -0500

> static routes but do you mean to take and create 0.0.0.0 as a static route?

Farshad,
Note that an RFC 3101 compliant OSPF implementation will originate a
default LSA as a consequence of being an NSSA ABR. RFC 1587 did not explicitly
require this. If the ABR is not advertising summaries (i.e., type 3 LSAs),
a type 3 default LSA will be originated (similar to what is done for a stub
area). If the ABR is advertising type 3 summaries, the default LSA will be
a type 7.

Thanks,
Acee

-- 
Acee

---

From: Farshad Tavallaei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:27:58 -0800

Excellent point! Thanx Acee.

I guess the question to Mike should have been: what kind of router(s)
are you using for your test? Are they RFC 3101 compliant? I am sure that
with Acee's excellent input, Mike is already on his way looking into
that....

-farshad

-----Original Message-----
From: Mailing List [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Acee
Lindem
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 3:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Advertising Type-7 LSAs for a defaul route

Farshad,
Note that an RFC 3101 compliant OSPF implementation will originate a
default LSA as a consequence of being an NSSA ABR. RFC 1587 did not
explicitly
require this. If the ABR is not advertising summaries (i.e., type 3
LSAs),
a type 3 default LSA will be originated (similar to what is done for a
stub
area). If the ABR is advertising type 3 summaries, the default LSA will
be
a type 7.

Thanks,
Acee

--
Acee