Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-kini-ospf-gr-enhance-00.txt

From: Sriganesh Kini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:03:37 -0800

Forwarding draft announcement to OSPF discussion group.

Comments are welcome.

===
Sriganesh Kini

--------

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Enhancements to OSPF Graceful Restart for
Heterogeneous Environments
        Author(s)       : S. Kini
        Filename        : draft-kini-ospf-gr-enhance-00.txt
        Pages           : 16
        Date            : 2004-1-23

Reliability is a fundamental concern for the network. As a solution
   to improve network stability, the non-stop forwarding paradigm
   depends on protocol recovery based on graceful restart techniques.
   One of the proposed graceful restart techniques for [OSPF], a widely
   deployed IGP, is described in [OSPF-GR]. This technique has a
   limitation of not being backward compatible, in the sense that if a
   neighbor does not support the helper mode described in [OSPF-GR],
   the graceful-restart procedure will fail (i.e., revert to normal
   restart). For large multi-vendor networks, this scenario is fairly
   common. In this draft, we describe techniques that can achieve OSPF
   graceful restart even if a neighboring router does not support the
   helper-mode of [OSPF-GR].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kini-ospf-gr-enhance-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-kini-ospf-gr-enhance-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kini-ospf-gr-enhance-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kini-ospf-gr-enhance-00.txt>