Subject: TOS field removal in OSPF for IPv6

From: Olaf Menzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:48:49 +0100

Dear OSPF-Group,
--------------------
I am working in a EU project called "Daidalos"
(http://www.ist-daidalos.org) and I am responsible for
routing stuff in fixed and ad-hoc network based on IPv6. For multipath
routing path decission I wanted to
use OSPF first with DS- field (TOS in IPv4)  tracking and later update
to IPv6 QOSPF (QoS based OSPF)
I just recognized the TOS based routing  has been removed in the OSPF
IPv6 specification .
I wanted to use this feature from OSPF v2 with some enhancements from
RFC2676  -
"QoS Routing Mechanisms and OSPF Extensions"  and port this to IPv6.
The routing protocol
should support path selection based on the service class of the
delivered content.

RFC2740:

"Type of Service (TOS) has been removed from
the OSPFv2 specification [Ref1], and is not encoded within OSPF for
IPv6's LSAs."

Are there any serious reasons why the OPSF WG has decited to remove
"Type of Service - routing" from OSPF for IPv6 ?

with regards

Olaf Menzel

--
Dipl. Ing. Olaf Menzel - System Engineer
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Institute for Open Communication Systems:
- Competence Center for Advanced Satellite Communication
Schloss Birlinghoven, 53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany
Phone: +49-2241-14-3494 Mobile: +49-175-2616161 Fax:+49-2241-14-43494
email: [email-masked] Internet: http://www.fokus.fhg.de/satcom

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:12:44 -0500

This was removed when OSPF v2 was being advanced on the standards track
because the WG could not find two interoperable implementations.  To phrase
it another way, it was not being implemented, not being used, and not being
requested, so we removed it.  WHen the OSPF for IPv6 work was being done no
effort was made to restore this as there was no driver to do so.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern