Subject: Configured default route or OSPF default route

From: Abhijit Kumbhare <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:25:14 -0500

Hello,

If the user has not configured anything - what is the generally accepted
default preference in most implementations - should the configured default
route take precedence or the learned (OSPF) default route?

I believe Cisco uses the static (configured) default route over the learned
default route - how do others handle it?

Thanks,
Abhijit Kumbhare

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:30:57 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Abhijit Kumbhare" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 5:25 PM
Subject: Configured default route or OSPF default route

> default route - how do others handle it?

Hi Abhijit,

We, Redback, also will prefer a static route over an OSPF learned route. I
think this is the right default since the static route is explicit.  We
do allow the preference (aka, administrative distance) to be configured for
individual static routes. Additionally, we'll install the a backup OSPF external
route (default or otherwise) even if we are advertising an external route
ourselves and let the defaulted or configued route preferences sort themselves
out in RIB. If we install an OSPF intra or inter area route, we will discontinue
advertising an OSPF external route. I think this approach offers the most
flexibility.

Thanks,
Acee