Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mirtorabi-ospf-multi-area-adj-00.txt

From: Sina Mirtorabi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:13:21 -0800

All,

This draft allows to define a link in more than one area. It decouples
secondary adjacencies from primary adj and use the existing interface
and neighbor FSM, therefore simplifying the implementation.

Comments are welcome.

Thanks
Sina

----

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : OSPF Multi-Area Adjacency
        Author(s)       : S. Mirtorabi
        Filename        : draft-mirtorabi-ospf-multi-area-adj-00.txt
        Pages           : 4
        Date            : 2004-1-28

This memo documents an extension to OSPF to allow a single physical
    link to be shared by multiple areas. This is necessary to allow the
    link to be considered an intra-area link in multiple areas.
    This would create an intra-area path to the corresponding areas
    sharing the same link.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mirtorabi-ospf-multi-area-adj-
00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-mirtorabi-ospf-multi-area-adj-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-mirtorabi-ospf-multi-area-adj-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Pat Murphy - (650)329-4044" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:38:53 -0700

s>Section 3:
s>1)ABRs will simply establish multiple adjacencies belonging to
s>  different areas.

v> a) Routers must be OSPF ABR before attempting this adjacency.
v>         OR
v> b) They can attempt this adjacency and become an ABR.

Multiple adjacencies can be used to stretch area 0 into an
non-backbone area. Two such adjacencies could be use to build a
fixed high performance backup path along the same links that are
part of any non-backbone area, even NSSAs and stub areas; as opposed
to VLs that can only traverse standard OSPF areas.

s>Section 4:
s>2)Multi-area adjacencies are configured between two routers having
s>  a common interface.

v> a) Why this statement?? Is multiple adjacency cannot be
v>    configured between ABRs/Routers across multiple hops.

Correct. These are standard single hop OSPF adjacencies traversing
specific links with specific performance characteristics.

Pat