Subject: Re: forwarding address

From: Ajay Virginkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:24:42 +0000

You could use passive OSPF interfaces though.

>From: Mike Fox <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: Mailing List <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: forwarding address
>Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:48:00 -0500
>
>Acee wrote:
>
> > If the ASBR's next-hop router has an interface on a multi-access network
> > that is part of the OSPF routing domain. Refer to the discussion of
>"forwarding
> > address" in section 2.3 or RFC 2328.
>
>I've asked this same question on this list and got this same answer.  I
>still don't like it though, because I thought the point of the forwarding
>address was to advertise a default route on behalf of a router who can't
>advertise it himself.  If the default router has an interface that's part
>of the OSPF domain, then he can advertise himself as default router and no
>forwarding address is needed, IMO.   However the response to my objection
>is that if the forwarding address is an external address, there's no
>guarantee that other OSPF routers can reach it.  Kind of a catch-22: the
>only time it's really needed is the time you can't be sure it can be
>reached.
>
>Mike
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Enterprise Network Solutions
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Research Triangle Park, NC  USA/

_________________________________________________________________
Get a FREE online virus check for your PC here, from McAfee.
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963