Subject: Flushing of MaxAge LSAs from Database.

From: "Singh, Gurpreet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 14:07:06 -1000

Hi

I have a question regarding the flushing of MaxAge LSAs in the OSPF
Database.

RFC 2328 does say that premature flushing of LSAs can only be done by the
originator of the LSA only but is this valid for naturally aged LSAs in a
router's Database also. i.e. Can only the Originating router flush the
naturally aged LSA (when the LS age reaches MaxAge) or any router can flush
the naturally aged LSA.

According to RFC 2328 Section 14

"An LSA's LS age is never incremented past the value MaxAge. LSAs
having age MaxAge are not used in the routing table calculation. As
a router ages its link state database, an LSA's LS age may reach
MaxAge.[21] At this time, the router must attempt to flush the LSA
from the routing domain. This is done simply by reflooding the
MaxAge LSA just as if it was a newly originated LSA (see Section
13.3)."

and Section 14.1

"A router may only prematurely age its own self-originated LSAs.
The router may not prematurely age LSAs that have been
originated by other routers. "

Thanks

Gurpreet

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 21:26:32 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Singh, Gurpreet" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 8:07 PM
Subject: Flushing of MaxAge LSAs from Database.

> naturally aged LSA (when the LS age reaches MaxAge) or any router can flush

Hi Gurpreet,

Since the LSA age has reached MaxAge, this isn't considered "premature" aging
and any router detecting the condition will flood the MaxAged LSA. This has
always seemed like a questionable design choice to me since it may result in
many routers flooding the MaxAge LSA at approximately the same time.
However, our implementation follows the specification.

Hope this helps,
Acee

---

From: Rajesh Thareja <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:47:31 +0530

Hi,

Is ther any way to identify the directly connected interfaces using the OSPF
MIB?

If I am correct than basically I am looking for a attribute with which I can
identify the neighbor information.

Regards

Rajesh