Subject: ospf redistribute

From: kishoreky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:10:31 -0400

Hi ,

i have few doubts regarding ospf redistribution.

say i have added a static route with next hop X.X.X.X

if ospf want's to redistribute this static route what all ospf should check?

does ospf should have a OSPF route (directly connected) to the next hop
X.X.X.X to generate Type
5 LSA or

it is enough if the route to nexthop can be either INTER AREA or INTRA AREA.

i think if the route is direct one, we can set the forwarding address in
Type
5 LSA as X.X.X.X

but if the route is not the direct one then what should be the forwarding
address? X.X.X.X or 0.0.0.0 if it needs to generate the LSA.

regards

Manish Gupta

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at http://email.indiatimes.com

 Buy The Best In BOOKS at http://www.bestsellers.indiatimes.com

Bid for for Air Tickets @ Re.1 on Air Sahara Flights. Just log on to http://airsahara.indiatimes.com and Bid Now!

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:40:27 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "kishoreky" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 3:10 PM
Subject: ospf redistribute

> address? X.X.X.X or 0.0.0.0 if it needs to generate the LSA.

Hi Manish,
Standard OSPF doesn't compute recursive next-hops. Hence, by definition,
X.X.X.X is directly connected. One could raise the question of  tunneled
interfaces but I don't think these should be treated any differently.  Another
implementation decision is whether or not to advertise a forwarding address
for redistributed/imported ECMP routes. In this case, I do not.

Hope this helps,
Acee