Subject: OSPF Redistributing Direct / Connected routes

From: "Mollin, Arvind - LiqwidKrystal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 05:57:25 -0700

Hi,

  I am having a simple setup like this,

  R1-I1--------p2p--------I1-R2-I2-------p2p-----I1-R3

OSPF interfaces are R1-I1 and R2-I1.
 Now I am trying to redistribute connected/direct routes into OSPF in
R2. When I do that R2 redistributes the address of R3's I1 interface
address, but it is not redistributing R2's I2 interface address. Due to
this R1 is not able to ping R2'sI2 interface, but able to ping R3's I1
interface. Is this behaviour a normal one or abnormal one ??. Is there
any standards that speaks how OSPF should redistribute connected routes
??.

Pls help me out
Thanks
Arvind

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:43:13 -0400

Hi Arvind,

For the ping to work, you must have bi-directional routing.  The pinger must
have a route matching the specified ping target destination. The pingee must have
a route to matching the source address the pinger uses in his ICMP echo request
packet. Regarding redistribution, it is just one aspect of the network design and
it should not be standardized.

Hope this helps,
Acee

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mollin, Arvind - LiqwidKrystal" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 8:57 AM
Subject: OSPF Redistributing Direct / Connected routes

Hi,

Pls help me out
Thanks
Arvind