Subject: Max number of OSPF neighbors in an area ??

From: "Mollin, Arvind - LiqwidKrystal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:24:01 -0700

Hi,

  Can anybody suggest me what is  the maximum number of OSPF neighbors
can be configured in an area? It is very obvious that it depends on the
capacity of the routers. 

But Is there any ideal max limit?? 

TIA

Arvind

---

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:56:01 -0400

A good rule of thumb is no more than 100 OSPF neighbors in one area. Of
course you always need to play towards the weakest router you are including
in the area so it may be less than that if you are running alot of low-end
routers.

The performance of that limit is greatly dependent upon how clean your
network is, the type of area used, the number of routes you keep in the LSDB
and obviously the amount of processor power of your devices.

The good news is the newer, more powerful and more efficient routers coming
out now will be able to scale well past 1000 neighbors per router.

My advice would be to always play it safe. Design your network with your
equipment and the skill of your engineers in mind. Build your design with a
threshold of 60 - 70% of maximum in mind to allow for growth and spare some
room for crisis mode. That way you won't be disappointed in its performance
and you can show some pride when the network survives an outage.

Regards,
Andy Smith

-----Original Message-----
From: Mailing List [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mollin,
Arvind - LiqwidKrystal
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 3:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Max number of OSPF neighbors in an area ??

Hi,

  Can anybody suggest me what is  the maximum number of OSPF neighbors can
be configured in an area? It is very obvious that it depends on the capacity
of the routers.

TIA

Arvind

---

From: "Mollin, Arvind - LiqwidKrystal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:22:10 -0700

Thanks Smith.

________________________________

From: Mailing List [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Andrew Smith
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 1:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Max number of OSPF neighbors in an area ??

A good rule of thumb is no more than 100 OSPF neighbors in one area. Of
course you always need to play towards the weakest router you are
including in the area so it may be less than that if you are running
alot of low-end routers. 

The performance of that limit is greatly dependent upon how clean your
network is, the type of area used, the number of routes you keep in the
LSDB and obviously the amount of processor power of your devices.

The good news is the newer, more powerful and more efficient routers
coming out now will be able to scale well past 1000 neighbors per
router.

My advice would be to always play it safe. Design your network with your
equipment and the skill of your engineers in mind. Build your design
with a threshold of 60 - 70% of maximum in mind to allow for growth and
spare some room for crisis mode. That way you won't be disappointed in
its performance and you can show some pride when the network survives an
outage.

Regards,

Andy Smith

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Mailing List [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Mollin, Arvind - LiqwidKrystal
        Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 3:24 PM
        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: Max number of OSPF neighbors in an area ??

        Hi,

          Can anybody suggest me what is  the maximum number of OSPF
neighbors can be configured in an area? It is very obvious that it
depends on the capacity of the routers. 

        TIA

        Arvind