Subject: Unknown LSA U-bit clarification

From: Christopher Jr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:23:58 -0500

Hi,

I have the following doubt regarding Section A.4.2.1 (LS Type) RFC 2740).
The RFC says 

   The U bit indicates how the LSA should be handled by a router which
   does not recognize the LSA's function code.  Its values are:

     U-bit   LSA Handling
     -------------------------------------------------------------
     0       Treat the LSA as if it had link-local flooding scope
     1       Store and flood the LSA, as if type understood

Does it mean, when the U-bit is clear, the LSA should not be stored.
What does "Store and flood the LSA" exactly mean ?

What is the difference between the following bit settings ?

	U  S2  S1
        ---------
	0   0   0
        1   0   0

Thanks,
Christopher.
-- 
___________________________________________________________
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:07:58 -0500

>   does not recognize the LSA's function code.  Its values are:
Hi Chris,
It means that the LSA will be stored in the database associated with the 
link (similiar to 
a link-LSA) and not flooded beyond the local link.

>What is the difference between the following bit settings ?
There is no difference in the handling of the LSA.

Thanks,
Acee