Subject: OSPFv3 Extension Future Direction

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:11:04 -0400

We've looked at the requirement to support OSPFv3 MTR (multi-topology
routing) for more than a year now. Many articulated the requirement for
a solution that will do this with a single OSPFv3 adjacency
(similar to our OSPFv2 MTR solution).  We tried to shoe-horn this in using
the existing LSAs and it really didn't fit. Hence, we will need new LSAs.
We could support it with new MTR specific LSAs. However, at the Minneapolis
IETF I advocated the draft-mirtorabi-mt-ospfv3-02.txt as mechanism to 
support
MTR and provide a more extensible basic LSA encoding for future OSPFv3
enhancements. We've had some discussion both at the IETF and on the WG 
list.
All the discussion has been positive with some suggestions that we 
should go
ever further with changes to OSPFv3. At this point, Rohit and I agree 
that we
should make draft-mirtorabi-mt-ospfv3-02.txt  a WG document and elicit 
further
discussion.

Thanks,
Acee