Subject: Re: MOSPF - Multicast OSPF

From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:27:41 -0800

> >
> So, you feel that there is a chance that MOSPFv3 may be fully 
> specified 
> and implemented for
> MANET networks sometime in the future (1-4 years). Correct? 

I don't know what the prospects are for such work, although maybe we
might turn some attention there once the unicast MANET work is more
settled.  What I can say is that, in some environments where OSPF MANET
is likely to be attractive, multicast is also needed.  We have in fact
conducted demos using an earlier version of OSPF MANET, complemented by
MOSPF(v2).  The SMF work is the other MANET multicast work at present,
but it also relies on protocol to elect a relay set, and doesn't have
mechanism for managing group membership, so it may be the case that
MOSPFv3 makes more sense than SMF if one is already doing OSPFv3 MANET.

Tom

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:25:17 -0500

>MOSPFv3 makes more sense than SMF if one is already doing OSPFv3 MANET.
Hi Tom,

My opinion is that existing protocol constructs wouldn't be used even if 
we ever specified and
implemented MOSPFv3. Rather, I'd envision any future MOSPFv3 using the 
proposed MTR
encodings. However, now is not the time for that discussion and I guess 
there is enough dissenting
opinions to leave them alone for now.

Thanks,
Acee