Subject: Originating LSAs during OSPF graceful restart

From: Ramesh Kandula <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 00:42:01 -0500

Hi All,

Should the restarting routing summarize it's own lsas (self-originated) 
during adjaceny establishment? This can happen in the following scenario.

Suppose there are 3 OSPF routers on a broadcast network and the DR 
restarts. When it establishes adjacency with the first neighbor, it will 
get its own lsas from it. Now while forming adjaceny with the second 
neighbor, should it summarize it's own lsas?

If yes, then the neighbor will request for them and the restarting router 
will send these lsas. So does the RFC 3623 mean that the restarting router 
should not originate "newer" instances of lsas of type 1,5 or 7? 

Thanks in advance
ramesh

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 07:34:14 -0500

Hi Ramesh,

>neighbor, should it summarize it's own lsas?
No.

>should not originate "newer" instances of lsas of type 1,5 or 7? 
If the neighbor doesn't already have them (and normally it will), the 
restarting router will send its
pre-restart LSAs. Don't confuse origination with sending an LSA during 
the database exchange
process.

Hope this helps,
Acee