Subject: Re: Originating LSAs during OSPF graceful restart

From: "Kandula, Ramesh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:33:20 -1000

Hi Acee,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that the restarting router should not summarize
self-originated lsas (I mean pre-restart self originated lsas) during
database exchange with a neighbor? If so, why is this required? I don't find
any statement in RFC3623 which implies this? 

Also, you said if a neighbor doesn't have a pre-restart lsa, the restarting
router will send it. If there was an adjacency before restart with this
neighbor, isn't the restarting router supposed to quit restart mode? 

thanks
ramesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Acee Lindem [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 2:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Originating LSAs during OSPF graceful restart

Hi Ramesh,

Ramesh Kandula wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Should the restarting routing summarize it's own lsas (self-originated) 
>during adjaceny establishment? This can happen in the following scenario.
>
>Suppose there are 3 OSPF routers on a broadcast network and the DR 
>restarts. When it establishes adjacency with the first neighbor, it will 
>get its own lsas from it. Now while forming adjaceny with the second 
>neighbor, should it summarize it's own lsas?
>  
>
No.

>If yes, then the neighbor will request for them and the restarting router 
>will send these lsas. So does the RFC 3623 mean that the restarting router 
>should not originate "newer" instances of lsas of type 1,5 or 7? 
>  
>
If the neighbor doesn't already have them (and normally it will), the 
restarting router will send its
pre-restart LSAs. Don't confuse origination with sending an LSA during 
the database exchange
process.

Hope this helps,
Acee

>Thanks in advance
>ramesh

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:46:38 -0500

Hi Ramesh,

Kandula, Ramesh wrote:

>database exchange with a neighbor? 
>
No. I'm saying the restarting router will not originate new LSAs until 
exiting
graceful restart.

>If so, why is this required? I don't find
No. In fact, a router won't act as a helper router unless it previously 
had an adjacency with
the restarting router.

Thanks,
Acee