Subject: [OSPF] OSPFv3 Graceful Restart - draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-graceful-restart-03.txt

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:24:30 -0400

As I indicated at the list OSPF WG meeting in Dallas, there are 2 
implementations
of this document and we plan to WG last call it. Hence, without further 
ado, this
is start of the WG Last Call for OSPFv3 Graceful Restart. All comments 
should be
received prior to 12:00 AM (EDT), May 2nd, 2006.

Thanks,
Acee

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: anup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:18:43 +0530

Hi Group,

Problem:
    If, on a helper, an LSA reaches maxage and if the LSA was originated by
a router which is currently in GR, then as per RFC 3623, the helper will
flood the maxaged LSA and the other helpers receiving it will exit helper
mode.

Suggestion:
    The helper should not flush the LSA since the restarting router, during
restart, cannot refresh the LSA. Instead the helper should keep the maxaged
LSA in its LSDB until the restarting router is found to have exited GR,
after which the restarting router will take the correct action.

Kindly let me know if my understanding of the problem is right and if the
suggestion is good.

Thanks and Regards,
Anup

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:18:04 -0400

>Kindly let me know if my understanding of the problem is right and if the
Hi Anup,

I don't think what you suggest works. Even, if helpers don't flush the 
LSA, other routers in the
domain will. And, if if they didn't, the LSA still wouldn't be used in 
the SPF calculation. IMHO,
it is futile to try and handle this situation. If the restarting router 
is refreshing its self-originated
 LSAs every 30 minutes as per RFC 2328 then the restarting router has at 
least 30 minutes
to restart - this should more than suffice in any practical situation.

Thanks,
Acee