Subject: [OSPF] PtoP neighbour numbered or unnumbered?

From: Joakim Tjernlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:17:46 +0100

I am trying to figure out a way to learn if the other end of a PtoP link 
is unnumberd or numbered.
So far no luck. In this case I cannot look at the remote IP address of the 
PtoP link as it
set in both cases. Ideas anyone?

I am also trying to see if one can do something useful with with the 
ifIndex sent in PtoP Router LSA
for unnumbered links. It really doesn't seem to hold some useful info so 
why send it in the first place?

 Jocke
_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: Dave Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:02:56 -0700

> set in both cases. Ideas anyone?

There's no way to do this, but it's arguably outside the scope of the  
protocol.  Both ends ought to be configured the same way, or things  
may get weird in a hurry.  OSPF is not a configuration checker, except  
by accident.

> why send it in the first place?

It's handy for finding your own interfaces during the SPF calculation  
(so you can figure out your next hop interface).  Otherwise you need  
some ancillary data to do so.

--Dave