Subject: [OSPF] External route question

From: Joakim Tjernlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 01:06:06 +0100

In RFC 2328, chap 16.4.  Calculating AS external routes, it reads:

            If the forwarding address is non-zero, look up the
            forwarding address in the routing table.[24] The matching
            routing table entry must specify an intra-area or inter-area
            path; if no such path exists, do nothing with the LSA and
            consider the next in the list.

If I read this literally I should only check that a intra-area or 
inter-area path exists. I think that the intention is that
such a route should be used as forwarding address too, is
that right?

 Jocke
_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 21:26:23 -0500

Hi Jocke,

> such a route should be used as forwarding address too, is

It means that if a forwarding address route exists, it is used for  
the the next check, (4), in the RC 2328 16.4 external route  
computation. I believe this is clear if you take the excerpted  
paragraph in context of section 16.4.

Thanks,
Acee

---

From: Joakim Tjernlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:20:07 +0100

> paragraph in context of section 16.4.

Thanks,
(4) makes sense as is says ASBR/forwarding address

 Jocke