Subject: [OSPF] RFC 5614 on Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET) Extension of OSPF Using Connected Dominating Set (CDS) Flooding

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:13:47 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5614

        Title:      Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET) 
                    Extension of OSPF Using Connected Dominating 
                    Set (CDS) Flooding 
        Author:     R. Ogier, P. Spagnolo
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       August 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      71
        Characters: 170106
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ospf-manet-mdr-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5614.txt

This document specifies an extension of OSPFv3 to support mobile ad
hoc networks (MANETs).  The extension, called OSPF-MDR, is designed
as a new OSPF interface type for MANETs.  OSPF-MDR is based on the
selection of a subset of MANET routers, consisting of MANET
Designated Routers (MDRs) and Backup MDRs.  The MDRs form a connected
dominating set (CDS), and the MDRs and Backup MDRs together form a
biconnected CDS for robustness.  This CDS is exploited in two ways.
First, to reduce flooding overhead, an optimized flooding procedure
is used in which only (Backup) MDRs flood new link state
advertisements (LSAs) back out the receiving interface; reliable
flooding is ensured by retransmitting LSAs along adjacencies.
Second, adjacencies are formed only between (Backup) MDRs and a
subset of their neighbors, allowing for much better scaling in dense
networks.  The CDS is constructed using 2-hop neighbor information
provided in a Hello protocol extension.  The Hello protocol is
further optimized by allowing differential Hellos that report only
changes in neighbor states.  Options are specified for originating
router-LSAs that provide full or partial topology information,
allowing overhead to be reduced by advertising less topology
information.  This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the 
Internet community.

This document is a product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute