Subject: [OSPF] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5340 (3350)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5340,
"OSPF for IPv6".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5340&eid=3350

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Michael Barnes <[email-masked]>

Section: 2.7

Original Text
-------------
   o  Two Options bits, the "R-bit" and the "V6-bit", have been added to
      the Options field for processing router-LSAs during the SPF
      calculation (see Appendix A.2).  If the "R-bit" is clear, an OSPF
      speaker can participate in OSPF topology distribution without
      being used to forward transit traffic; this can be used in multi-
      homed hosts that want to participate in the routing protocol.  The
      V6-bit specializes the R-bit; if the V6-bit is clear, an OSPF
      speaker can participate in OSPF topology distribution without
      being used to forward IPv6 datagrams.  If the R-bit is set and the
      V6-bit is clear, IPv6 datagrams are not forwarded but datagrams
      belonging to another protocol family may be forwarded.

Corrected Text
--------------
   o  Two Options bits, the "R-bit" and the "V6-bit", have been added to
      the Options field for processing router-LSAs during the SPF
      calculation (see Appendix A.2).  If the "R-bit" is clear, an OSPF
      speaker can participate in OSPF topology distribution without
      being used to forward transit traffic; this can be used in multi-
      homed hosts that want to participate in the routing protocol. An
      Area Border Router MUST advertise a consistent R-bit setting in
      its self-originated router-LSAs for all attached areas. 
      The V6-bit specializes the R-bit; if the V6-bit is clear, an OSPF
      speaker can participate in OSPF topology distribution without
      being used to forward IPv6 datagrams.  If the R-bit is set and the
      V6-bit is clear, IPv6 datagrams are not forwarded but datagrams
      belonging to another protocol family may be forwarded.

Notes
-----

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5340 (draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-update-23)
--------------------------------------
Title               : OSPF for IPv6
Publication Date    : July 2008
Author(s)           : R. Coltun, D. Ferguson, J. Moy, A. Lindem
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Open Shortest Path First IGP
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG