Subject: [OSPF] RFC 6845 on OSPF Hybrid Broadcast and Point-to-Multipoint Interface Type

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:23:48 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6845

        Title:      OSPF Hybrid Broadcast and Point-to-Multipoint 
                    Interface Type 
        Author:     N. Sheth, L. Wang,
                    J. Zhang
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 17019
        Updates:    RFC2328, RFC5340

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ospf-hybrid-bcast-and-p2mp-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6845.txt

This document describes a mechanism to model a broadcast network as a
hybrid of broadcast and point-to-multipoint networks for purposes of
OSPF operation.  Neighbor discovery and maintenance as well as Link
State Advertisement (LSA) database synchronization are performed
using the broadcast model, but the network is represented using the
point-to-multipoint model in the router-LSAs of the routers connected
to it.  This allows an accurate representation of the cost of
communication between different routers on the network, while
maintaining the network efficiency of broadcast operation.  This
approach is relatively simple and requires minimal changes to OSPF.

This document updates both OSPFv2 (RFC 2328) and OSPFv3 (RFC 5340).  
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC