Subject: [OSPF] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6506 (3568)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 05:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6506,
"Supporting Authentication Trailer for OSPFv3".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6506&eid=3568

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Marek Karasek <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.2

Original Text
-------------
OSPFv3 Header Checksum

   Both OSPFv3 header checksum calculation and verification are omitted
   when the OSPFv3 authentication mechanism described in this
   specification is used.  This implies:

   o  For OSPFv3 packets to be transmitted, the OSPFv3 header checksum
      computation is omitted, and the OSPFv3 header checksum SHOULD be
      set to 0 prior to computation of the OSPFv3 Authentication Trailer
      message digest.

   o  For received OSPFv3 packets including an OSPFv3 Authentication
      Trailer, OSPFv3 header checksum verification MUST be omitted.
      However, if the OSPFv3 packet does include a non-zero OSPFv3
      header checksum, it will not be modified by the receiver and will
      simply be included in the OSPFv3 Authentication Trailer message
      digest verification.

Corrected Text
--------------
OSPFv3 Header Checksum and LLS Data Block Checksum

OSPFv3 Header Checksum and LLS Data Block Checksum calculation
and verification are omitted when the OSPFv3 authentication mechanism
described in this specification is used.  This implies:

• For OSPFv3 packets to be transmitted, the OSPFv3 header checksum
and LLS Data Block checksum computation is omitted, and the checksums
SHOULD be set to 0 prior to computation of the OSPFv3 Authentication
Trailer message digest.

• For received OSPFv3 packets including an OSPFv3 Authentication Trailer,
OSPFv3 header checksum and LLS Data Block checksum verification MUST be
omitted.  However, if the OSPFv3 packet does include a non-zero
OSPFv3 header or LLS Data Block checksum, it will not be modified
by the receiver and will simply be included in the OSPFv3 Authentication
Trailer message digest verification.

Notes
-----
RFC does not specify how to work with LLS Data Block Checksum. Errata suggests omit checksum calculation/verification in the same way like for OSPFv3 header checksum.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6506 (draft-ietf-ospf-auth-trailer-ospfv3-11)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Supporting Authentication Trailer for OSPFv3
Publication Date    : February 2012
Author(s)           : M. Bhatia, V. Manral, A. Lindem
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Open Shortest Path First IGP
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG