Subject: Re: [OSPF] Question to the field people

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 17:17:22 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>
Anton Smirnov writes:
 
>     Hi all,
>     it should be pretty obvious where this question is coming from but ...
>     I would appreciate if people using OSPF in their networks answered 
> (privately, if you want) a simple question:
>  
> ISIS allows link metric to be in the range of 1-2^24 and path cost 
> during SPF calculation 2^32.
> OSPF uses costs of 2^16 and 2^24 respectively.
> Was it ever considered as a limitation or serious factor affecting 
> choice of IGP to usein the network?
>  
> Thanks,
>  
> Anton

Not that I know of.  Most networks use metrics that are mostly in the
single decimal digit integer range, occasionally larger to denote
slower links in an outer tier that are not to be used to repair core
connectivity, but getting nowhere near the limits.

Its like IPv4 TTL being limited to 255, which could in theory be a
problem, but in practice isn't.

Curtis