Subject: [OSPF] RFC 7166 on Supporting Authentication Trailer for OSPFv3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:46:27 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7166

        Title:      Supporting Authentication Trailer for OSPFv3 
        Author:     M. Bhatia, V. Manral, A. Lindem
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 49533
        Obsoletes:  RFC 6506

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ospf-rfc6506bis-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7166.txt

Currently, OSPF for IPv6 (OSPFv3) uses IPsec as the only mechanism
for authenticating protocol packets.  This behavior is different from
authentication mechanisms present in other routing protocols (OSPFv2,
Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS), RIP, and Routing
Information Protocol Next Generation (RIPng)).  In some environments,
it has been found that IPsec is difficult to configure and maintain
and thus cannot be used.  This document defines an alternative
mechanism to authenticate OSPFv3 protocol packets so that OSPFv3 does
not depend only upon IPsec for authentication.

The OSPFv3 Authentication Trailer was originally defined in RFC 6506.
This document obsoletes RFC 6506 by providing a revised definition,
including clarifications and refinements of the procedures.

This document is a product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC