Subject: [OSPF] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC2328 (4022)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 00:11:13 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC2328,
"OSPF Version 2".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=2328&eid=4022

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Alexander Okonnikov <[email-masked]>

Section: 10.5

Original Text
-------------
When receiving an Hello Packet from a neighbor on a broadcast,
Point-to-MultiPoint or NBMA network, set the neighbor
structure's Neighbor ID equal to the Router ID found in the
packet's OSPF header. For these network types, the neighbor
structure's Router Priority field, Neighbor's Designated Router
field, and Neighbor's Backup Designated Router field are also
set equal to the corresponding fields found in the received
Hello Packet; changes in these fields should be noted for
possible use in the steps below. When receiving an Hello on a
point-to-point network (but not on a virtual link) set the
neighbor structure's Neighbor IP address to the packet's IP
source address.

Corrected Text
--------------
When receiving an Hello Packet from a neighbor on a broadcast,
Point-to-MultiPoint or NBMA network, set the neighbor
structure's Neighbor ID equal to the Router ID found in the
packet's OSPF header. For broadcast and NBMA network types, the neighbor
structure's Router Priority field, Neighbor's Designated Router
field, and Neighbor's Backup Designated Router field are also
set equal to the corresponding fields found in the received
Hello Packet; changes in these fields should be noted for
possible use in the steps below. When receiving an Hello on a
point-to-point network (but not on a virtual link) set the
neighbor structure's Neighbor IP address to the packet's IP
source address.

Notes
-----
This is unnecessary in case of Point-to-MultiPoint network type to hold neighbor's Router Priority, DR, and BDR values.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC2328 (no draft string recorded)
--------------------------------------
Title               : OSPF Version 2
Publication Date    : April 1998
Author(s)           : J. Moy
Category            : INTERNET STANDARD
Source              : Open Shortest Path First IGP
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:23:17 +0000

Hi Alia, 
As long as you are verifying these, I agree with Errata as well.
Thanks,
Acee

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:24:07 -0400

Thanks!

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > This is unnecessary in case of Point-to-MultiPoint network type to hold
> neighbor's Router Priority, DR, and BDR values.
> >
> > Instructions:
> > -------------