Subject: [OSPF] OSPFv3 Extended LSA Update

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 22:33:11 +0000

Given the high volume of OSPF session requests for IETF 91 and the fact
that the changes since the last IETF are minor, I decided not to allocate
any session time to this important OSPF WG draft. However, I am providing
an update here:

       Recent Changes:

            - Added an IPv4 Forwarding address sub-TLV in support of IPv4
addresses families. This is consistent with the IPv4 link-local address
sub-TLV. 

            - Added text with respect to mandatory TLVs. If the mandatory
TLVs are not present, the LSA is treated as malformed. This will simplify
implementation and is consistent with the base LSAs where this information
must be included.
                * For E-Network-LSAs, the Attached-Router TLV is
mandatory. 
                * For E-Inter-Area-Prefix-LSAs, the Inter-Area-Prefix TLV
is mandatory.
                * For E-Inter-Area-Router-LSAs, the Inter-Area-Router TLV
is mandatory. 
                * For E-AS-External-LSAs, the External-Prefix TLV is
mandatory.         
                * For E-NSSA-LSAs, the External-Prefix TLV is mandatory.
  
                * For E-Link-LSAs, either an IPv6-Link-Local Address TLV
or IPv4-Link-Local Address TLV is mandatory (dependent on the address
family).     
            - I did NOT make at least one Router-Link TLV in the
E-Router-LSA or at least one Intra-Area-Prefix TLV in the
E-Intra-Area-Prefix LSA. We can discuss this. However, since the number is
variable most implementation already handled 0 links or prefixes. Also, I
seem to remember one implementation not including the full LSAs contents
when purging stale LSAs.
  
            - Added a section on the behavior for received malformed LSAs.

     Next Steps: 

           - Please review.
           - Looking for some implementation momentum - I can see OSPFv3
evolving into the NG IGP.

Thanks,
Acee