Subject: [OSPF] Protocol Action: 'OSPF Traffic Engineering (TE) Metric Extensions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ospf-te-metric-extensions-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:09:30 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'OSPF Traffic Engineering (TE) Metric Extensions'
  (draft-ietf-ospf-te-metric-extensions-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Alia Atlas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-te-metric-extensions/

Technical Summary

      This document specifies extensions to OSPF Traffic Engineering 
      to include delay, loss, and current bandwidth utilization metric 
      that can be taken into account when performing traffic engineering. 

Working Group Summary:

      There has been much discussion as to how these metrics would be 
      collected and how they will be used. These topics were deemed to 
      to be out of scope. 

      There was also concern for potential overhead of collecting
      and flooding these metrics. In response, the draft contains 
      guidance as to how often the measurements should be collected and
      flooded. Additionally, the draft now recommends configuration
      to control measurement usage and the thresholds for advertisement. 

      Finally, the draft was updated to include applicability to 
      Advanced Multipath links. 

      It should be noted that, consistent with the long-held IESG policy,
      there is a partner I-D for extensions to IS-IS
      (draft-ietf-isis-te-metric-extensions)

Document Quality:

      This document has been a WG document for a little under two years.
      It is stable, without changes to the technical solution for more
      than six months. 

      IETF last call was drawn to the attention of the TEAS, CCAMP, and
      MPLS working groups.

Personnel:

      Acee Lindem is the Document Shepherd.
      Adrian Farrel is the Responsible Area Director.