Subject: [OSPF] Benoit Claise's Discuss on draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-autoconfig-13: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 05:31:59 -0800

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-autoconfig-13: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-autoconfig/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

   4.  OSPFv3 interfaces MAY use an arbitrary HelloInterval and
       RouterDeadInterval as specified in Section 3.  

Hopefully, an easy DISCUSS.
>From a management point of view, we must be able to determine if a router
or interfaces within a router are OSPF-autoconfigured.
If I'm not mistaken, you miss, in the management considerations section,
something like this: The OSPFv3 routers MUST flag the interfaces
supporting this specification. 

Background: I recall one particular tool in the past that would check the
different router configs and flag the HelloInterval and
RouterDeadInterval
 mismatched values for adjacent routers. This would be equivalent to the
following debug:
OSPF: Rcv hello from 192.168.0.2 area 0 from FastEthernet0/0 192.168.0.2
OSPF: Mismatched hello parameters from 192.168.0.2
OSPF: Dead R 40 C 60, Hello R 10 C 15  Mask R 255.255.255.252 C
255.255.255.252

In case of OSPF auto-config, this check doesn't make any sense.

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 17:05:01 +0000

Hi Benoit, 

>http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-autoconfig/

I will add:

   OSPFv3 Routers supporting this specification MUST augment mechanisms
   for displaying or otherwise conveying OSPFv3 operational state to
   indicate whether or not the OSPFv3 router was autoconfigured and
   whether or not its OSPFv3 interfaces have been auto-configured.

Additionally, we will consider adding a feature to the OSPF YANG model for
auto-configuration.

>OSPF: Dead R 40 C 60, Hello R 10 C 15  Mask R 255.255.255.252 C

This looks like debug messages from a router. Perhaps, this tool simply
snoops on OSPF networks and does analysis. Since there is nothing in the
packet to indicate auto configuration, there is no way to detect this
simply by sniffing. There was a proposal to provide an indicate but it was
more complex and offered little additional functionality. Unfortunately,
we cannot use 0 for hello-interval since this is used for a proprietary
sub-second hello extension implemented by many vendors.

Thanks,
Acee

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 17:05:01 +0000

Hi Benoit, 

I will add:

Thanks,
Acee

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:15:06 +0100

>     whether or not its OSPFv3 interfaces have been auto-configured.
that works for me. Thanks.
> Additionally, we will consider adding a feature to the OSPF YANG model for
Great.
config and operational state, please.

Regards, Benoit
> .

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:15:06 +0100

Great.

Regards, Benoit