Subject: [OSPF] Jari Arkko's Yes on draft-ietf-ospf-transition-to-ospfv3-11: (with COMMENT)

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 15:11:39 -0700

Jari Arkko has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ospf-transition-to-ospfv3-11: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-transition-to-ospfv3/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support this document going forward.

However, in Section 4 it says:

   Consequently, an OSPFv3 packet
   transported within an IPv4 packet requires IPsec to provide
   authentication and confidentiality.  Further work such as [ipsecospf]
   would be required to support IPsec protection for OSPFv3 over IPv4
   transport.

And I had trouble understanding what you meant by this, exactly. IPsec is
required, but is not currently completely enough defined for OSPF to make
this possible? If so, I'd suggest using the words:

   Consequently, an OSPFv3 packet
   transported within an IPv4 packet requires IPsec to provide
   authentication and confidentiality.  However,  further work such as
[ipsecospf]
   would be required to support IPsec protection for OSPFv3 over IPv4
   transport.

But maybe I am misunderstanding what was meant here.

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 20:03:35 -0400

Hi Jari, 

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 6:11 PM, Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I think I see your point. How about: 

As specified in [RFC5340], OSPFv3 relies on IPsec [RFC4301] for 
authentication and confidentiality. [RFC 4552] specifies how IPsec is used
with OSPFv3 over IPv6 transport. In order to use OSPFv3 with IPv4
transport as specified herein, further work such as [ipsecospf] would
 be required. 

Thanks,
Acee 

> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> OSPF mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:52:00 +0300

> transport as specified herein, further work such as [ipsecospf] would

That would be clear. Thanks.

Jari