Subject: [paws] Updated PS I-D: draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt-02.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:08:51 +0000

Hello,

We have updated the Problem statetement I-D. This I-D will no longer include requirements as the reqts are being captured in a separate I-D.
Your comments are welcome.

-Raj

URL: http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt-02.txt

Abstract

   Governments around the world continue to search for new bands of
   radio spectrum which can be used by the expanding wireless
   communications industry to provide more services in the usable
   spectrum.  The concept of allowing secondary transmissions (licensed
   or unlicensed) in frequencies occupied by a primary user is a
   technique to "unlock" existing spectrum for new use.  An obvious
   requirement is that these secondary transmissions do not interfere
   with the primary use of the spectrum.  One interesting observation is
   that often, in a given physical location, the primary user(s) may not
   be using the entire band allocated to them.  The available spectrum
   for a secondary use would then depend on the location of the
   secondary user.  The fundamental issue is how to determine for a
   specific location and specific time, if any of the primary spectrum
   is available for secondary use.  Academia and Industry have studied
   multiple cognitive radio mechanisms for use in such a scenario.  One
   simple mechanism is to use a geospatial database that records the
   primary users occupation, and require the secondary users to check
   the database prior to selecting what part of the spectrum they use.
   Such databases could be available on the Internet for query by
   secondary users.  This document discusses the problems that need to
   be addressed for enabling the use of white space spectrum by
   obtaining information from such a database.