Subject: [paws] draft-lei-paws-overview-usecases-00.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:42:33 +0100

Dear all

This is the first contribution to the mailing list from ourselves at BT, so please forgive any mistakes with the 'protocol'.

We refer to the document 'draft-lei-paws-overview-usecases-00.txt' and would like to make some comments. We are also happy to become involved in the further drafting of the document if appropriate.

1.       Introduction

The use-cases mentioned here are Rural Broadband Access and location-based services, but these are not the ones expanded upon in section 3. We need some better alignment here I think. We are happy to propose some text.  We would rather avoid the use of 'WiFi' 'super-WiFi' in this document, as it implies a particular use of WiFi protocols and the document shouldn't pronounce on such things.

2.       Terminology - the database should return a list of available channels and maximum transmit powers [and optionally directional information]

3.       Use Cases. The use-cases of interest to us are Rural Broadband (not-spots), Dynamic Backhaul (for traditional WiFi hot spots or for femto-cells / micro-cells),  indoor networking (called in this document super-WiFi) and Machine to Machine. These should be expanded in later parts of section 3, ie 3.1, 3.2 etc. , except we should drop the super-WiFi tag.

 At present, 3.1 addresses indoor networking, 3.2 is TVWS ad-hoc networking and 3.3 is TD-LTE MBMS. These last two are not even mentioned in the introduction (section 1) or in the introductory paragraph of section 3.
I propose we have the following expanded structure:

3.1   - Rural Broadband

3.2   - Indoor Networking

3.3   - Dynamic Backhaul

3.4   - Machine to machine

3.5   - Ad-hoc networking

3.6   - MBMS (or more broadly, cellular extension ?)

We offer to contribute text to the new sections 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4.

4.       Requirements

We need to add a confidence interval to the location accuracy. Currently, GPS has only 70% at 50m I believe.

We should take into account directivity of antennas at the master and slave stations

Other countries will use this (not just the US) so we need to expand beyond FCC

We should not tie the document to GPS, as there are other techniques for determining location.

Best wishes

Michael Fitch and Richard MacKenzie

BT

---

From: Zhu Lei <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 11:59:16 +0800

Hi Michael and all,

Sorry for not responding on time.

Yes, I think paws made some statements to combine the use cases into one
document with context which is for people to understand when reading
protocol document.

According to your comments, I may reframe the supper-wifi terminology and so
on. I’d like to revise this particular ID to reflect your comments by now,
or soon. Then, please provide your opinions one this draft, and hopely frame
the structure of use case document.

Best regards,

Zhu Lei

发件人: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表
[email-masked]
发送时间: 2011年8月1日 23:43
收件人: [email-masked]
主题: [paws] draft-lei-paws-overview-usecases-00.txt

Dear all

This is the first contribution to the mailing list from ourselves at BT, so
please forgive any mistakes with the ‘protocol’.

We refer to the document ‘draft-lei-paws-overview-usecases-00.txt’ and
would like to make some comments. We are also happy to become involved in
the further drafting of the document if appropriate.

1.      Introduction

The use-cases mentioned here are Rural Broadband Access and location-based
services, but these are not the ones expanded upon in section 3. We need
some better alignment here I think. We are happy to propose some text.  We
would rather avoid the use of ‘WiFi’ ‘super-WiFi’ in this document, as
it implies a particular use of WiFi protocols and the document shouldn’t
pronounce on such things. 

2.      Terminology – the database should return a list of available
channels and maximum transmit powers [and optionally directional
information]

3.      Use Cases. The use-cases of interest to us are Rural Broadband
(not-spots), Dynamic Backhaul (for traditional WiFi hot spots or for
femto-cells / micro-cells),  indoor networking (called in this document
super-WiFi) and Machine to Machine. These should be expanded in later parts
of section 3, ie 3.1, 3.2 etc. , except we should drop the super-WiFi tag.  

 At present, 3.1 addresses indoor networking, 3.2 is TVWS ad-hoc networking
and 3.3 is TD-LTE MBMS. These last two are not even mentioned in the
introduction (section 1) or in the introductory paragraph of section 3. 
I propose we have the following expanded structure:

3.1   – Rural Broadband

3.2   – Indoor Networking

3.3   – Dynamic Backhaul

3.4   – Machine to machine

3.5   – Ad-hoc networking

3.6   – MBMS (or more broadly, cellular extension ?)

4.      Requirements

We need to add a confidence interval to the location accuracy. Currently,
GPS has only 70% at 50m I believe.

We should take into account directivity of antennas at the master and slave
stations

Other countries will use this (not just the US) so we need to expand beyond
FCC 

We should not tie the document to GPS, as there are other techniques for
determining location. 

Best wishes

BT