Subject: [paws] combined problem statement, use cases & requirements

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:18:02 +0000

Hi,

According to the results of the face-to-face meeting, we have combined the problem statement I-D and use case & requirement I-D into a single I-D.  Your comments are welcomed.

Regards,
Scott

URL: http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-probasco-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt

Abstract:
   Portions of the radio spectrum that are allocated to a licensed,
   primary user but are unused or unoccupied at specific locations and
   times are defined as &quot;white space&quot;.  The concept of allowing
   secondary transmissions (licensed or unlicensed) in white space is a
   technique to &quot;unlock&quot; existing spectrum for new use.  An obvious
   requirement is that these secondary transmissions do not interfere
   with the primary use of the spectrum.  One approach to using the
   white space spectrum at a given time and location is to verify with a
   database available channels.

   This document describes the concept of TV White Spaces.  It also
   describes the problems that need to be addressed for enabling the use
   of the primary user owned white space spectrum for secondary users,
   without causing interference, by querying a database which knows the
   channel availability at any given location and time.  A number of
   possible use cases of this spectrum and derived requirements are also
   described.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:43:01 +0000

During the Quebec session, we had presentations of the PS and the use cases drafts. The wg then decided it wants to see these drafts merged into one. Scott just did that and posted the merged draft:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-probasco-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt

Now I would like to ask if the wg feels like this document is ready to be adopted as a wg document. Please send your feedback and hum to the list by this time next week.

-Gabor

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Probasco Scott 
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 9:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: combined problem statement, use cases & requirements

Hi,

Regards,
Scott

Abstract:
   Portions of the radio spectrum that are allocated to a licensed,
   primary user but are unused or unoccupied at specific locations and
   times are defined as 'white space'.  The concept of allowing
   secondary transmissions (licensed or unlicensed) in white space is a
   technique to 'unlock' existing spectrum for new use.  An obvious
   requirement is that these secondary transmissions do not interfere
   with the primary use of the spectrum.  One approach to using the
   white space spectrum at a given time and location is to verify with a
   database available channels.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:42:04 +0000

I sent this email to the list one week ago, asking for feedback on 
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-probasco-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt
but there was not one feedback received. I take that as people have no comments to the draft at this time.

And I am asking again: is there any objection in adopting the above draft as a wg document?

-Gabor

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 2:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [paws] combined problem statement, use cases & requirements

-Gabor

Hi,

Regards,
Scott

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
paws mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/paws

---

From: Gerald Chouinard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:06:01 -0400

Hi Gabor,

I have reviewed the document and I am not completely satisfied with the
description of the Wide-Area and Rural internet broadband access use case
described in section 5.3 (page 13).  Here are e few modifications to
the text:

"5.3.  Wide-Area or Rural internet broadband access

In this use case,
internet broadband access is provided as a Wide-Area

Network (WAN) or Wireless Regional Area Network
(WRAN).  A typical

deployment scenario is a wide area or rural area, where
internet

broadband access is provided to local businesses and
residents from a

master (i.e.  BS) connected to the internet.  This
deployment

scenario is typically characterized by one or more fixed
master(s)/

BS(s), cells with relatively large radius (tens
of
kilometers, up to
100

km), and manya number of
available radio channels.
ManySome of the masters/BSs
are

assumed tomay be
deployed and operated by a single entity, i.e. there
iscan be

centralized
coordination between many of
these
masters/BSs, whereas other masters/BSs may be
deployed and operated by operators competing for the radio channels in a
license-exempt TVWS environment where decentralized coordination using
the air-interface would be required.  The BS in
this

scenario use a TDD radio technology and transmit at or below
a

transmit power
thresholdlimit established by
the local regulator.  Each

base station has a connection to the internet and provides
internet

connectivity to multiple slave/end-user devices.  End
user terminals

or devices may be fixed or portable."

Notes:

I believe the expression: "many available radio channels"
gives the impression that there will be more channels than needed.
On the contrary, the RF spectrum will usually be limited and clever
coordination will be needed to share the limitged resourcesx among the
various celss in operation in an area.

The following sentence still gives the impression that most of the BS(s)
will be coordinated by a single operator while the reality will be, in
the license-exempt TVWS environment, many operators will compete for the
same spectrum (think of Wi-Fi at 2.4 GHz). Some of the BS(s) in operation
may be coordinated by a central NOC but, in reality, decentralized
coexistence schemes will need to be applied for best use of the
spectrum.  Even the coordinated BS(s) will have to deal with the
other BS(s) through decentralized coexistence schemes to be able to get
their share of the resource.

In the development of the 802.22 WRAN standard, major effort was spent to
develop means for these uncoordinated BS(s) to communicate with each
other to establish self-coexistence mechanisms.  802.19 is
developing means by which coexistence will be attempted among dissimilar
technologies using the TVWS.  As you can imagine, the centrally
coordinated operation among BS(s) belonging to the same operator will be
the simplest case.  The more difficult decentralized coordination
cases should not be overlooked.

Items 8 and 9 on page 15 also need a bit of refinement as
follows:

"8.  The slave or user device scans the TV bands to locate a
WRAN

transmission, and associates with
the master/BS.  The slave/user

device
provides its geolocation to the BS which, in
turn, queries the
databasemaster for a
list of channels list
available at, based on the slaves' geolocation.

9.  Once this list of available channels is received from the database by Tthe master, the latter will decide, based on the list of available channels for all its other associated slaves whether it should continue operation on its current channel or change channel to accommodate the new slave in case this channel is not available at its location. The master will notify all its associated slaves/user devices of the new channel to move to if operation needs to change channel provides the list of channels locally available to the

slave/user device.  If the channel that the user terminal is

currently using is not included in the list of locally available

channels, the master will drop its association with the slave/user device so that it ceases all operation on its current channel and indicate the new operating channel before dropping the link if a change has been decided.  The slave/user device may move to the indicated new channel if so indicated or scan for another WRAN transmission on a different channel.

Note:

The BS has to find the 'common denominator' across all lists of available channels for all its associated slaves and a decision has to be made whether it can accommodate the new slave or not.  It may happen that, in the case where its current operating channel is not available at the new slave location, the master can still find a channel that is still available to all its slaves, including the new slave. A channel move would then be indicated to accept this new slave.  However, if changing channel means that, say, two other slaves would no longer be available, thaen, a value judgement needs to take place at the master based on the importance of this new slaver versus the two slaves that would lose association.  The process has to allow for this intelligence at the master.

Respectully,

Gerald

At 17:42 30-08-11 +0000, [email-masked] wrote:

-Gabor

-----Original Message-----

To: [email-masked]

-Gabor

From: Probasco Scott

To: [email-masked]

Hi,

Regards,

Scott

Abstract:

described.

paws mailing list

[email-masked]

paws mailing list

[email-masked]