Subject: [paws] Use cases and requirements: sections 9 and 11 (Summary and Conclusion, References)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:20:00 +0000

Hello All,

As editors of the problem statement, use cases & requirements draft we are
attempting to prepare a completed draft which could be ready for working
group last call before IETF83. In the coming days we will post the
sections of the draft to the mailing list. Our request is that you review
these sections and reply to the email with any comments.

Below is the text for sections 9 and 11. This text has not changed from
version-02 as uploaded January 26, 2012. Our goal is that any discussion
on this text will conclude by February 6. To be clear, approval of the
document will go through the normal process of last calls etc.. We are
simply asking for your assistance in preparing a complete & accurate
document that could progress the work. So please review the text and send
your comments either directly to the editor or to the mailing list.

Kind Regards,
Raj & Scott

9.  Summary and Conclusion

   Wireless spectrum is a scarce resource.  As the demand for spectrum
   grows, there is a need to more efficiently utilize the available and
   allocated spectrum.  Cognitive radio technologies enable the
   efficient usage of spectrum via means such as sensing or by querying
   a database to determine available spectrum at a given location for
   secondary use.  White space is the general term used to refer to the
   bands within the spectrum which is available for secondary use at a
   given location.  In order to use this spectrum a device needs to
   query a database which maintains information about the available
   channels within a band.  A protocol is necessary for communication
   between the devices and databases which would be globally applicable.

   The document describes some examples of the role of the white space
   database in the operation of a radio network and also shows an
   examples of a services provided to the user of a TVWS device.  From
   these use cases requirements are determined.  These requirements are
   to be used as input to the definition of a Protocol to Access White
   Space database (PAWS).

11.  References

11.1.  Normative References

   [80211P]   IEEE, "IEEE Standard for Information technology -
              Telecommunications and information exchange between
              systems - Local and metropolitan area networks - Specific
              requirements; Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control
              (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications; Amendment
              6: Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments; http://
              standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11p-2010.pdf",
              July 2010.

   [FCC47CFR90.210]
              FCC, "Title 47 Telecommunication CFR Chapter I - Federal
              Communication Commission Part 90 - Private Land Mobile
              Radio Services - Section 210 Emission masks; http://
              edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/pdf/
              47cfr90.210.pdf", October 2010.

   [PAWS-PS]  IETF, "Protocol to Access White Space database: Problem
              statement; https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/
              draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt/", July 2011.

   [RFC2119]  IETF, "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement
              Levels;
              http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/pdfrfc/rfc2119.txt.pdf",
              March 1997.

11.2.  Informative References

   [DDR]      Ofcom - Independent regulator and competition authority
              for the UK communications industries, "Digital Dividend
              Review; http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/
              project-pages/ddr/".

   [DTV]      "Digital TV Transition; http://www.dtv.gov".

   [ECC Report 159]
              Electronic Communications Committee (ECC) within the
              European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications
              Administrations (CEPT), "TECHNICAL AND OPERATIONAL
              REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSSIBLE OPERATION OF COGNITIVE RADIO
              SYSTEMS IN THE 'WHITE SPACES' OF THE FREQUENCY BAND 470-
              590 MHZ; http://www.erodocdb.dk/Docs/doc98/official/pdf/
              ECCREP159.PDF", January 2011.

   [FCC Ruling]

Probasco & Patil          Expires July 18, 2012                [Page 32]

Internet-Draft    PAWS: Problem, uses and requirements      January 2012

              FCC, "Federal Communications Commission, "Unlicensed
              Operation in the TV Broadcast Bands;
              http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-30184.pdf"",
              December 2010.

   [Ofcom Implementing]
              Ofcom, "Ofcom, "Implementing Geolocation; http://
              stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/geolocation/
              statement/
              ?utm_source=updates&utm_medium=email&
              utm_campaign=geolocation-statement"", September 2011.

   [RFC5222]  IETF, Hardie, T., Netwon, A., Schulzrinne, H., and H.
              Tschofenig, "LoST: A Location-to-Service Translation Proto
              col;http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/pdfrfc/rfc5222.txt.pdf",
              August 2008.

   [Spectrum Framework Review]
              Ofcom - Independent regulator and competition authority
              for the UK communications industries, "Spectrum Framework
              Review;
              http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/sfr/",
              February 2005.

   [TV Whitespace Tutorial Intro]
              IEEE 802 Executive Committee Study Group on TV White
              Spaces, "TV Whitespace Tutorial Intro; http://
              grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/802_tutorials/2009-03/
              2009-03-10%20TV%20Whitespace%20Tutorial%20r0.pdf",
              March 2009.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:26:58 -0500

Hi Scott, all,

Here are some suggested changes to the text:

- 7th line of section 9: change "secondary" for "opportunistic". In  
the ITU-R Table of frequency allotment, there are bands where primary  
and secondary services already exist. White Space opportunistic use  
would then become some sort of tertiary service usage.

- Penultimate sentence of section 9: add a coma as follows: "From  
these use cases, requirements are determined."

- Section 11, first reference:
(802.11p)  ...

- Section 11, add a new second reference:
(802.22)   IEEE, "IEEE Standard for Information technology -
               Telecommunications and information exchange between
               systems - Wireless Regional Area Networks (WRAN) - Specific
               requirements; Part 22: Cognitive Wireless RAN Medium Access
               Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications: Policies
               and Procedures for Operation in the TV bands; http://
               standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.22-2011.pdf",
               July 2011.

Regards,

Gerald

Quoting [email-masked]:

> _______________________________________________
> paws mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/paws
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:55:24 +0000

Scott

Agreed these are good changes. Also, last paragraph of the conclusion, "... and also shows an examples of a services provided ....", delete both "an" and "a". In the references, there is a shorter link to [Ofcom Implementing] : http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/geolocation/statement/  

Regards

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: 30 January 2012 15:27
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [paws] Use cases and requirements: sections 9 and 11 (Summary and Conclusion, References)

Hi Scott, all,

- 7th line of section 9: change "secondary" for "opportunistic". In the ITU-R Table of frequency allotment, there are bands where primary and secondary services already exist. White Space opportunistic use would then become some sort of tertiary service usage.

- Penultimate sentence of section 9: add a coma as follows: "From these use cases, requirements are determined."

Regards,

Gerald

Quoting [email-masked]:

> Hello All,
>
> As editors of the problem statement, use cases & requirements draft we 
> are attempting to prepare a completed draft which could be ready for 
> working group last call before IETF83. In the coming days we will post 
> the sections of the draft to the mailing list. Our request is that you 
> review these sections and reply to the email with any comments.
>
> version-02 as uploaded January 26, 2012. Our goal is that any 
> discussion on this text will conclude by February 6. To be clear, 
> approval of the document will go through the normal process of last 
> calls etc.. We are simply asking for your assistance in preparing a 
> complete & accurate document that could progress the work. So please 
> review the text and send your comments either directly to the editor or to the mailing list.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Raj & Scott
>
>
>