Subject: [paws] UC&R I-D: Section 4.6 White space serving as backhaul

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:26:38 +0000

Hello,

I have revised Section 4.6 of the I-D which describes the use case wherein
white space is used as a backhaul to provide Internet connectivity via
WiFi. Please review the proposed text and comment by Feb 17th.
Once we have consensus on the use case and text, we will incorporate it
into the I-D.

-Raj and Scott

4.6.  White space serving as backhaul

   In this use case internet connectivity service is provided to users
   over a more commonly wireless standard such as WiFi with white
   space entities providing backhaul connectivity to the Internet.
   In a typical deployment scenario an end user has a device with a
   radio such as WiFi.  An Internet service provider or a small
   business owner wants to provide WiFi internet connectivity service
   to their customers. The location where Internet connectivity
   service via WiFi is to be provided is within the coverage area of
   a white space master (e.g.  Hotspot or Wide-Area/Rural network).
   The service provider installs a white space slave device and
   connects it to the WiFi access point(s). WiFi access points with
   an integrated white space slave component may also be used. This
   deployment scenario is typically characterized by a WS master/AP/BS
   providing local coverage.  The master/AP has a connection to the
   internet and provides internet connectivity to slave devices that
   are within its coverage area. The WS slave device is 'bridged' to a
   WiFi network thereby enabling Internet connectivity service to
   wi-fi devices. The WS Master/AP/BS which has some form of Internet
   connectivity (wired or wireless) queries the database and obtains
   available channel information. It then provides service using those
   channels to slave devices which are within its coverage area.

   The figure below shows an example deployment of this scenario.

                        \|/     white    \|/    \|/   WiFi  \|/
                         |      space     |      |           |
                         |                |      |         |-|----|
       |--------|      |-|---------|    |-|------|-|   	   | WiFi |
       |        |      | WS Master |    | WS Slave |   	   | Dev  |
       |internet|------| (AP/BS)   |    |  Bridge  |       |------|
       |        |      |           |    |to WiFi AP|
       |--------|      |-----------|    |----------|        \|/
                                                             |
                                                           |-|----|
                                                           | WiFi |
                                                           | Dev  |
                                                           |------|

                        Figure 6: TVWS for backhaul

   Once the bridged device (WS+WiFi) is connected to a master and WS
   network, a simplified operation scenario of backhaul for WiFi
   consists of the following steps:
   1.  A bridged device (WS+WiFi) is connected to a master device
       operating in the WS spectrum.  The bridged device operates as a
slave
       device in either Hotspot or Wide-Area/Rural internet use cases
       described above.

   2.  Once the slave device is connected to the master, the WiFi
       access point has Internet connectivity as well.

   3.  End users attach to the WiFi network via their WiFi enabled
       devices and receive internet connectivity.