Subject: [paws] WG Action: RECHARTER: Protocol to Access WS database (paws)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 10:58:03 -0700

The Protocol to Access WS database (paws) working group in the Applications Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Protocol to Access WS database (paws)
-------------------------------------

 Chairs:
     Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
     Gabor Bajko <[email-masked]>

 Applications Area Directors:
     Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
     Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>

 Applications Area Advisor:
     Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     To Subscribe:       https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/paws
     Archive:            http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/paws/

Description of Working Group:

  Background
  
  Radio spectrum is a limited resource.  National and international
  bodies assign different frequencies for specific uses, and in
  most cases license the rights to use these frequencies.  Locally
  unused spectrum is commonly called "white space" and may be made
  available to other services on a basis of non-interference with
  the primary user of the frequencies concerned (if any). This
  technique can help "unlock" existing spectrum, for example to
  enable the wireless communications industry to provide more
  services over frequencies associated with unused television
  channels.  An obvious requirement is that white space uses must
  not interfere with the primary use of the spectrum.  This is
  achieved through spatial and/or temporal separation of the
  primary user and whitespace user with due consideration made to
  the radio characteristics of the two uses.
  
  Problem Statement
  
  The fundamental problem is enabling a radio device to determine, in
  a specific location and at specific time, if any white space is
  available for secondary use.  There are two parties to such an
  interaction:
  
  1. A database containing records about the protected contours (in
  space and time) of primary spectrum users.  Typically, such databases
  will be populated by information provided by the appropriate spectrum
  regulation bodies and by spectrum licensees.
  
  2. A radio device that wishes to query such a database. Typically, the
  nature of the query will depend on the needs of the device.
  
  The contents of white space databases, and the needs of radio devices,
  are being defined elsewhere.  However, these parties need a protocol
  for communication that will enable radio devices to find out what white
  space is available at a given time in a given location.
  
  It is expected that white space databases will be reachable via the
  Internet, and that radio devices too will have some form of Internet
  connectivity, directly or indirectly.  Therefore, it is appropriate
  to define an Internet-based protocol for querying white space databases
  and receiving responses from such databases.
  
  In rough outline, such a protocol would enable a radio device that
  knows its location and the current time to complete the following tasks:
  
  1. Determine the relevant white space database to query.

  2. Connect to the database using a well-defined communication method.

  3. Provide its geolocation and perhaps other data to the database
     using a well-defined format for querying the database.

  4. Receive in return a list of available white space spectrum
     with their characteristics, using a well-defined format for
     returning information.

  5. Report to the white space database anticipated spectrum usage
     at a suitable granularity.

  Once the device learns of the available white space (e.g., in a TV
  white space implementation, the list of available channels at that
  location), it can then select one of the bands from the list and
  begin to transmit and receive on the selected band.  If the device's
  parameters have changed (e.g., if some amount of time has passed or if
  the device has changed location beyond a specified threshold), it might
  need to query the database again to determine what white space is still
  available.
  
  Objectives
  
  The overall goals of this working group are to:
  
  1. Standardize a mechanism for discovering a white space database.

  2. Standardize a method for communicating with a white space
  database.

  3. Standardize the data formats to be carried over the defined
  database communication method.

  4. Ensure that the discovery mechanism, database access method,
  and query/response formats have appropriate security levels in place.
  
  By "standardize" is not meant that the working group will necessarily
  develop new technologies.  In completing its work, the group will:
  
  - Evaluate existing discovery mechanisms to determine if one of
    them provides the necessary application features and security
    properties (or can be extended to do so) for discovering a
    white space database.  Examples might include DNS.
  
  - Evaluate existing application-layer transport protocols to
    determine if one of them provides the necessary application
    features and security properties (or can be extended to do so)
    for use as a building block for communication between location-
    aware devices and white space databases.  If such a method
    exists, the group will reuse it; if not, the group will develop
    one.  Examples might include HTTP.
  
  - Develop a method for querying a white space database.  Such
    a method will utilize, so far as possible, the features of
    the application-layer transport protocol and not re-implement
    them in the new protocol. It will include mechanisms to verify
    that the requests and responses come from authorized sources,
    and that they have not been modified in transit.  Examples might
    include LDAP.
  
  - Define extensible formats for both location-specific queries and
    location-specific responses for interaction with radio white
    space databases.  The group will consider whether existing data
    formats can be reused.
  
  The protocol must protect both the channel enablement process and the
  privacy of users.  Robust privacy and security mechanisms are needed
  to prevent: device identity spoofing, modification of device requests,
  modification of channel enablement information, impersonation of
  registered database services, and unauthorized disclosure of a device's
  location.  The group will consider whether existing privacy and
  security mechanisms can be reused.
  
  The task of defining the structure and contents of the databases
  themselves is out of scope.  The group will standardize formats for
  communication between devices and databases, but not the information
  models for the databases, since those models are likely to be
  country-specific or application-specific.  In addition, the particular
  data exchanged between a device and a database might depend on the
  ranges of radio spectrum that are to be used, the requirements of the
  database operators and their governing regulations, and other factors.
  Therefore, the database access method and the query/response data
  formats that are exchanged using that method need to be designed for
  extensibility rather than being tied to any specific spectrum, country,
  or phy/mac/air interface.  For example, the working group should define
  extension points for the database access method and the query/response
  formats, so that use cases other than those currently envisioned can be
  addressed in the future if a community of interest wishes to do so.
  However, the access method and query/response formats will incorporate
  relevant aspects of the parameters needed for the currently envisioned
  use cases to ensure proper operation.
  
  In accordance with existing IETF processes, the group will communicate
  and invite participation with other relevant standards bodies and
  groups, and if necessary reuse existing liaison relationships or
  request the establishment of new liaison relationships, including but
  not limited to IEEE 802.11af and IEEE 802.22.  In order to ensure that
  it takes into account a broad range of possible use cases and
  requirements, the group should also reach out to other potential
  "customers" for a white space database access method and consider input
  from regulatory entities that are involved in the specification of the
  rules for secondary use of spectrum in specific radio bands.
  
  Deliverables
  
  1. A description of the relevant use cases and requirements.  This
  document shall be Informational.  Subject to working group consensus,
  draft-probasco-paws-overview-usecases and draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt
  might be used as a starting point.
  
  2. A specification of the mechanism for discovering a white space
  database, the method for accessing a white space database, and the
  query/response formats for interacting with a white space database.
  This document shall be Standards Track.

  August 2012 	Submit 'Use Cases and Requirements for Accessing a Radio White Space Database' to the IESG for publication as Informational
  Apr 2013 	Submit 'Accessing a Radio White Space Database' to the IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 18:15:07 +0000

As this announcement indicates, paws was re-chartered, the new charter includes reporting back to the db the anticipated spectrum usage ' at a suitable granularity '.
- Gabor

-----Original Message-----
From: ext IESG Secretary [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:58 AM
To: IETF Announcement List
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Bajko Gabor (Nokia-CIC/SiliconValley)
Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Protocol to Access WS database (paws)

 Chairs:

 Mailing Lists:

  Background

  Problem Statement

  

  

  
  Objectives

  

  

  

  Deliverables

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 18:19:19 +0000

Good to hear

Sent from my Lumia 800
________________________________
From: Bajko Gabor (Nokia-CIC/SiliconValley)
Sent: 5/30/2012 1:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [paws] WG Action: RECHARTER: Protocol to Access WS database (paws)

-----Original Message-----
From: ext IESG Secretary [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:58 AM
To: IETF Announcement List
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Bajko Gabor (Nokia-CIC/SiliconValley)
Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Protocol to Access WS database (paws)

 Chairs:

 Mailing Lists:

  Background

  Problem Statement

  Objectives

  Deliverables

  August 2012    Submit 'Use Cases and Requirements for Accessing a Radio White Space Database' to the IESG for publication as Informational
  Apr 2013       Submit 'Accessing a Radio White Space Database' to the IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
_______________________________________________
paws mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/paws