Subject: [Pce] Fwd: [mpls] Generic Connection Admission Control (GCAC) Algorithm Specification for IP/MPLS Networks

From: Julien Meuric <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:49:34 +0200

FYI (PCE inside)

-------- Message original --------
De : 	Gerald Ash <[email-masked]>

Hi,
Adrian has suggested that the RTGWG and the MPLS WG review the draft 
"Generic Connection Admission Control (GCAC) Algorithm Specification for 
IP/MPLS Networks", available at 
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-00.txt (abstract below).
The underlying goal of the work is to specify an optional GCAC algorithm 
for IP/MPLS networks, to be adopted and implemented by vendors and 
service providers, that interoperates between vendor equipment and 
across multiple service provider domains.  This would be analogous to 
the PNNI GCAC that was widely adopted and helped 
promote interoperability of ATM networks.  In addition, the approach:
o is based on CSPF, widely implemented by vendors
o does NOT include aspects of CAC that might be considered vendor 
proprietary implementations, such as detailed path selection mechanisms
o relies on available standard mechanisms for MPLS based networks, such 
as RSVP, DSTE, PCE...
Comments appreciated.
Thanks,
Jerry
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-00.txt
X-RSN: 1/0/935/34473/37870

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

Title : Generic Connection Admission Control (GCAC) Algorithm 
Specification for IP/MPLS Networks
Author(s) : G. Ash, D. McDysan
Filename : draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-00.txt
Pages : 23
Date : 2011-1-11

This document presents a generic connection admission control (GCAC)
reference model and algorithm for IP/MPLS-based networks. Service
provider (SP) IP/MPLS networks need an MPLS GCAC mechanism, for
example, to reject voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calls when
additional calls would adversely affect calls already in progress.

Without MPLS GCAC, connections on congested links will suffer
degraded quality. The MPLS GCAC algorithm can be optionally
implemented in vendor equipment and deployed by service providers.
MPLS GCAC interoperates between vendor equipment and across multiple
service provider domains. The MPLS GCAC algorithm uses available
standard mechanisms for MPLS based networks, such as RSVP, DSTE, PCE,
NSIS, DiffServ, and OSPF. The MPLS GCAC algorithm does not include
aspects of CAC that might be considered vendor proprietary
implementations, such as detailed path selection mechanisms. MPLS
GCAC functions are implemented in a distributed manner to deliver the
objective QoS for specified QoS constraints. The source is able to
compute a source route with high likelihood that MPLS GCAC via
elements along the selected path will in fact admit the request.
MPLS GCAC is applicable to any service or flow that must meet an
objective QoS (delay, jitter, packet loss rate) for a specified
quantity of traffic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

*****
Click below to download the attachment(s) in this message:
<A 
HREF="http://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&gid=0&rid=8&k1=935&file=i-d-announce.37870.1.txt 
<http://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&gid=0&rid=8&k1=935&file=i-d-announce.37870.1.txt>">Attachment: 
draft_ash_gcac_algorithm_spec_00.txt</A> (1K)