Subject: Re: [Pce] A new draft on an architecture for application-based network operations

From: Quintin Zhao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 14:58:23 -0500

Dear Dan and Adrian, 

The draft is very good and is helpful coordinate PCE and TE technologies
between applications and network. I focused on some sections and have
following questions and suggestions. 

(1) Applicability of ABNO Architecture. 

Your document abstract and introduction discusses scenarios including
content and data-center interconnection ("Services such as content
distribution, distributed databases, or inter-data center connectivity place
a set of new requirements on the operation of networks."). I think the
architecture is also relevant to lots of other environments: mobile
backhaul, core transport, packet switch network, etc. Do you agree? 

(2) ABNO Controller.

Section 2.2.13 (ABNO controller) needs to be discussed in more detail. Do
you think multiple ABNO controllers or just one ABNO controller will be
required? Maybe an implementation will use a ABNO Controller per
"application" (Service Coordinator/NMS/OSS)? 

(3) PCE or PCE's?

Figure 1 shows *a* PCE. It is expected that multiple PCE' would be used,
this is important for VNTM Use Case. Maybe you can show more PCE's in the
figure 1 or describe it?

(4) Network Resiliency.

I am interested in ABNO managing network failures that may be protected with
shared mesh protection at the network which could be MPLS TP or WDM. ABNO
would provide a shared path protection which optimizes as network conditions
change. This is based on client layer requirements of reliability and
protection restoration time. To make this possible the shared mesh
protection paths would need to be client layer traffic aware and have
customer SLA information. Do you think this is a good use case?

(5) Custom (Abstracted) Topologies.       

Could ABNO provide abstracted topologies via the north-bound interface to
the requester (provisioning tool)? In China we have the customers who would
like IPv6 deployment in IPv4 backbone. If provider can assign specific nodes
and links to be used for logically isolated IPv6 plane, then the ABNO (I2RS
and BGP-LS) architecture could be used to provide abstracted topology based
on the preferred equipment for carrying tunneled IPv6 traffic. Is this
another use case that may be useful?

(6) Manageability and Security.  

Are you going to provide Manageability and Security sections in future
versions of the ABNO document or another document? It is an important area
for ABNO that needs further discussion. 

Thanks!

Quintin

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 22:58:58 -0000

From: "Daniel King" <[email-masked]>

To: <[email-masked]>

Subject: [Pce] A new draft on an architecture for application-based

         network  operations

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Content-Type: text/plain;      charset="us-ascii"

Hi PCE'rs,

Adrian and I posted an I-D which is a rather grandiose attempt to pull

together a number of existing architectural components (PCE, VNTM, I2RS,

policy, etc., etc.). This is a sort of meta-SDN PCE-based architect-thingy.

It needed a name, so we called it Application-Based Network Operations

(ABNO), warning it's not house trained and may answer to various other

names:

A PCE-based Architecture for Application-based Network Operations

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture-00

As some of you will know this is the result of numerous discussions we have

had with a number of people over the last three months.  Where pieces of the

puzzle seem to have been coagulating, we thought it might be nice to build a

framework in which the jelly (jello) can set. It is at a really early stage,

so we are convinced you will all throw stuff at us, but what the hell!

As it stands, the current draft includes:

- A brief description of abstraction functional components and the

interfaces between them. 

- An attempt to supply pointers to existing work (tool kit) where that may

be applicable and there are some use case examples to give a feel for how it

all works.

- Various ABNO use cases. 

A number of areas need further discussion, especially the use cases. We

decided to submit with the few we do have, in order to generate some

feedback - anyone who wants to supply use case(s) and text, would receive

hero status. 

We have pitched the document as a PCE working group document because PCE is

a central component, but the document doesn't really fall inside the PCE

charter. For the time being it might be best to send comments direct to us

rather than clutter up any WG mailing list with discussions that are outside

the charter (but if some WG chair wants to claim the work, then...)

Thanks,

Dan and Adrian

------------------------------

_______________________________________________

Pce mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce

End of Pce Digest, Vol 99, Issue 1

**********************************

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 14:15:49 -0000

Hi Young,

Yes, CSO was somewhat in our mind our mind as we wrote this, and you'll see one
of the use-cases is about virtual topology which is part of the puzzle.

Maybe you or Dhruv would like to suggest some text for a CSO use case?

Cheers,
Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Leeyoung
> Sent: 06 December 2012 23:38
> To: Daniel King; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Pce] A new draft on an architecture for application-based
network
> operations
> 
> Hi Dan,
> 
> I support your draft to be considered in the PCE WG especially in light of a
> potential PCE WG re-chartering discussion.
> 
> There was a related draft that Dhruv presented in a previous PCE WG meeting.
> 
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dhody-pce-cso-enabled-path-
> computation/
> 
> I think some ideas from Dhruv's draft can be integrated together with yours.
> 
> Best Regards,
> Young
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Daniel
> King
> Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 4:59 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Pce] A new draft on an architecture for application-based network
> operations
> 
> Hi PCE'rs,
>