Subject: [PCN] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 01:30:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-04.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-01-11

The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
On every link in the PCN domain, the overall rate of the PCN-traffic
is metered, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes provide decision points
with information about the PCN-marks of PCN-packets which allows them
to take decisions about whether to admit or block a new flow request,
and to terminate some already admitted flows during serious pre-
congestion.

This document specifies how PCN-marks are to be encoded into the IP
header by re-using the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
codepoints within a PCN-domain.  This encoding builds on the baseline
encoding of RFC5696 and provides for three different PCN marking
states using a single DSCP: not-marked (NM), threshold-marked (ThM)
and excess-traffic-marked (ETM).  Hence, it is called the 3-in-1 PCN
encoding.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.