Subject: [PCN] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:30:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Overview of Pre-Congestion Notification Encoding
	Author(s)       : G. Karagiannis, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison-05.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2011-04-13

The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
On every link in the PCN domain, the overall rate of the PCN-traffic
is metered, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes provide decision points
with information about the PCN-marks of PCN-packets which allows them
to take decisions about whether to admit or block a new flow request,
and to terminate some already admitted flows during serious pre-
congestion.

The PCN Working Group explored a number of approaches for encoding
this pre-congestion information into the IP header.  This document
provides details of all those approaches along with an explanation of
the constraints that had to be met by any solution.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.