Subject: [pcp] Do it differently when PCP response would have exceeded the maximum PCP message size?

From: Xiaohong Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:05:39 +0800

In the -23, it suggests in page 17 that:

If a PCP response would have exceeded the maximum PCP message size,

the PCP server SHOULD respond with MALFORMED_REQUEST.

While MALFORMED_REQUEST means the request could not be successfully parsed,
yet the scenario that text here is trying to describe (explained by Dan):

1. a request arrives, and has two fancy new PCP Options, one says "tell me

   the human-assigned name for this mapping", and the other says "tell

   me the manufacturer and version of the PCP server"

2. the human-assigned name is 1000 bytes, and the manufacturer name is

   50 bytes.

3. the response is built but its length exceeds the 1024 maximum

   size allowed.

How about do something differently than MALFORMED_REQUEST? For example,
define a new error code for the sake of accuracy or simply truncate the

response at 1024 bytes to fit?

Cheers,

Xiaohong