Subject: [plasma] FW: New Version Notification for draft-freeman-message-access-control-req-03.txt

From: Trevor Freeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:38:32 +0000

FYI, A new requirements draft has been posted.

There are a number of significant changes most notably a description of the Plasma data model.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:36 AM
To: Trevor Freeman
Cc: [email-masked]; Trevor Freeman; [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-freeman-message-access-control-req-03.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-freeman-message-access-control-req-03.txt has been successfully submitted by Trevor Freeman and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-freeman-message-access-control-req
Revision:	 03
Title:		 Requirements for Message Access Control
Creation date:	 2011-10-20
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 42

Abstract:
   There are many situations where organizations want to protect
   information with robust access control, either for implementation of
   intellectual property right protections, enforcement of information
   contractual confidentiality agreements or because of externally
   imposed legal regulations.  The Enhanced Security Services (ESS) for
   S/MIME defines an access control mechanism which is enforced by the
   recipients client after decryption of the message. The ESS mechanism
   therefore is dependent on the correct access policy configuration of
   every recipients client. This mechanism also provides full access to
   the data to all recipients prior to the access control check which is
   considered to be inadequate for due to the difficulty in
   demonstrating policy compliance.

   This document lays out the deficiencies of the current ESS security
   label, and presents requirements for new model for doing access
   control to messages where the access check is performed prior to
   message content decryption. This new model also does not require
   policy configuration on the client to simplify deployment and
   compliance verification.

   The proposed model additionally provides a method where non-X.509
   certificate credentials can be used for encryption/decryption of
   S/MIME messages.

The IETF Secretariat