Subject: [PMOL] What new work?

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:01:18 -0600

This question has come up a few times.  For the sake of understanding a
potential charter of the working group, what valid problems exist in the
industry today that require this potential WG to address?

Before any solution can be written, a problem must be identified.  If we
can understand what problems we think exist, perhaps we can argue
whether we think they are truly problems or not.  In addition, we can
post the problems to the actual protocol WG groups as well.

For example...

(This is not a REAL example, I just made it up...any actual correlation
to a real problem is coincidental.)

HTTP Performance Metrics

The problem is no HTTP metrics exist today, so individuals are faced
with best effort expectations.  Also, no hosting companies have the
ability to understand how well their web applications are performing
based on the number of requests.

Okay....pretty simple....Draft idea and simple problem statement.

--Daryl

_______________________________________________
PMOL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pmol

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 11:27:36 -0400

>post the problems to the actual protocol WG groups as well.
Right.

Also, to deal with the question on practical applicability,
the description of the problem should specify *who* will use
the performance metrics, and what they will use them for.
The question of "Who is the Audience?" was raised last Summer
for the SIP PM draft, and again at the BOF for PMs in general.

The vetted problem statement, scope, motivation and applicability
might be captured in the early sections of the draft itself.
This is the typical approach in some PM WGs now.

Al

---

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:54:31 -0600

Based on no responses to the list, I think we may have our answer.

--Daryl