Subject: Re: WG Last Call PCIM - OIDs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:31:27 -0500

Bert,

Actually, this is not specified in the CIM spec.  There is some
mapping material related to OIDs as identifiers for information
objects (OBJECT-TYPE and NOTIFICATION-TYPE macros in SMIv2), but
that's not the case we're concerned with in the PCIM.  Our case
is one where the OIDs serve as code points (OBJECT-IDENTITY
macro in SMIv2) that appear as the value of a property in the
PCIM.

Since the CIM spec hasn't defined an encoding for OIDs in this
role, we're free to do what we think is right.  Since I agree
with your proposed format, that's what I'm going to document for
the two affected properties in the PCIM:

  - UCS-2 strings
  - dotted digits format
  - US ASCII encodings "upgraded" to UCS-2 with leading x00's.

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore
IBM Networking Software
+1-919-254-4436
[email-masked]

"Bert Wijnen" <[email-masked]>@raleigh.ibm.com on 01/31/2000 08:05:45
AM

Please respond to "Bert Wijnen" <[email-masked]>

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  WG Last Call PCIM - OIDs

Taking sect 6.6.2 as an example,
it is not clear to me how an OID is encoded in a UCS-2 string.
is it 2 octets per character (I think yes) and is it of the form
1.3.6.x.y.z or is it of another form. If this form, are the digoits
and the dot from the US ASCII set??

Maybe this is defined in DMTF CIM doc. I still need to read that one.

Bert