Subject: Why is there no week of month facility in policyTimePeriodConditi onAuxClass?

From: "David Lowndes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:47:36 -0000

In working on an implementation of the proposed standard for policy time
periods, one of the requirements we've come across is the need to specify
the week of a month.

For example, a policy might be applicable during:

	The first (second, third, fourth, fifth) week of a month.
	The last week of a month.
	The next to last week of a month.
	The first and last weeks of a month.

I can't see any provision for this in the proposed attributes. Has this
requirement been considered, and is there a way of achieving this using the
existing attributes?

Dave Lowndes

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:36:28 -0500

I meant to send this to the list, as well as to David.

Ed Ellesson
Tivoli Systems
Research Triangle Park, NC
[email-masked]
919-254-4115

---------------------- Forwarded by Ed Ellesson/Tivoli Systems on 02/28/2000
01:38 PM ---------------------------

Ed Ellesson
02/28/2000 01:35 PM

To:   "David Lowndes" <[email-masked]>
cc:
From:
Subject:  Re: Why is there no week of month facility in policyTimePeriodConditi
      onAuxClass?  (Document link: Ed Ellesson)

David,

This sounds like a potentially ambiguous specification.  That is, how would one
go about defining, in a general way, what consititutes the "first week of the
month",  which would yield a specific set of days, for any given month?

For example, for this coming month, March 2000, what is "the first week of the
month"?

1. Wednesday, March 1, through Saturday, March 4?

2. Sunday March 5, through Saturday, March 11?

3.  Does it start on Sunday and end on Saturday?  (I think there are countries
which do not begin their "week" on Sunday.)   eg. Saturday, March 4 through
Friday, March 10?

4.  Or is the first week literally the first week, which would be Wed. March 1
through Tuesday, March 6?

There are probably other possibilities.  It seems to me like it would be better
for an administrator to choose the days that a policy applies to, according to
the day bit mask of each month.  The administrator would have to sit down and do
this once each year, is my guess.  What do you think?

Ed Ellesson
Tivoli Systems
Research Triangle Park, NC
[email-masked]
919-254-4115

"David Lowndes" <[email-masked]> on 02/28/2000 09:47:36 AM

Please respond to "David Lowndes" <[email-masked]>

To:   "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
cc:    (bcc: Ed Ellesson/Tivoli Systems)
Subject:  Why is there no week of month facility in policyTimePeriodConditi
      onAuxClass?

Dave Lowndes