Subject: policy time period condition

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:38:26 -0500

The draft-ietf-diffserv-pib-00.txt does not seem to contain policy time
period condition as specified in PCIM. Is there a reason to leave it out?

How can a PDP push a set of policies and mandate that they should be active
only between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily?

Man Li
Nokia Internet Communications
5 Wayside Road, Burlington, MA 01803
[email-masked]
phone 1-781-993-3923
GSM 1-781-492-2850

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:49:37 -0700 (PDT)

> period condition as specified in PCIM. Is there a reason to leave it out?

If there were only 9am-5pm policies, then it wouldn't too bad.  However,
when a time period is independently specified for each policy, such that
different policies have different periods with many overlapping periods,
then conflict detection becomes quite complicated.
 
> only between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily?

The PDP installs them at 9am every day, and replaces them with other
policies at 5pm every day.  Through the use of "contexts" (see section 3.2
in draft-ietf-rap-frameworkpib-00.txt), both sets of policies can be
loaded into the PEP, and the PDP only needs to instruct the PEP to switch
contexts at the relevant times.

Keith.