Subject: Policy Description Language?

From: Dave Kosiur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 13:47:16 -0600

What, if any, work has been done on defining a PDL for describing and
exchanging policies between policy-based systems? I know Strassner had
submitted an internet draft more than a year ago, but I'm not aware of
anything since. Is some form of XML going to be the answer?

Dave

---

From: "Noriko Hata" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 00:56:14 +0200

Hi, this message is forwarded to the Policy wg for Ofer Avineri;

Yes! There have been some discussions in that perspective,

It should be probably be aligned with John's descriptive definitions toward
a schema DTD,

Ofer.

Regards,

Noriko Hata
Digital Intelligence Systems, Inc.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Dave Kosiur <[email-masked]>
To: Policy Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2000 9:47 PM
Subject: Policy Description Language?

| What, if any, work has been done on defining a PDL for describing and
| exchanging policies between policy-based systems? I know Strassner had
| submitted an internet draft more than a year ago, but I'm not aware of
| anything since. Is some form of XML going to be the answer?
| 
| Dave
| 
|

---

From: "Lee Rafalow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:36:40 -0400

Dave, The working group made an explicit decision to postpone any
consideration of PDLs at least until we have a common model.  As previous
responses have indicated, there are other efforts and some of them use XML.
Since the model derives from CIM, one candidate for IETF standards might be
to start by looking at CIM XML.  See http://www.dmtf.org/spec/wbem.html for
more information.  Lee