Subject: MPLS & QPIM

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:27:36 +0200

Dear all,

Coming up with an information model for MPLS (MPLS_IM), some of the
classes specified in the QoS IM (QPIM) could be more generic in order to
be reused or derived from in the MPLS case.

1) the SignalControlAction
In QPIM we have signaling protocol specific action (RSVP) specific in
MPLS-IM we have a CR-LSP specific action. Is there a base class such
that both protocol specific actions can be derived?

                        SignalControlAction
                         /               \
           RSVPSignalCtrlAction        CRLDPSignalCtrlAction

I looked into the RSVPSignalCtrlAction and propose to seperate it into a
basic class and
a RSVP specific. For the generic part naming need to be changed.

SignalControlAction
properties: direction, meter, meterscope, traffic_profile,
install_action, control_action

RSVPSignalControlAction
Properties: RSVPMessagetype, RSVPStyle, RSVPServiceType

2) Traffic profile

There are now three different traffic profiles defined (for
provisioning, RSVP style, CR-LDP style). We should have base type, but I
am not sure about what properties the base type should have.

3) Filters

I have seen the definition of filters in the device model, are there
more high-level definitions of filters/classifyers? 

Marcus

-- 

Dr. Marcus Brunner
C&C Research Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
personal home page: http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~brunner

New address starting 9/1/2000
Postal Mail:
Adenauerplatz 6
D-69115 Heidelberg
Germany

Phone: +49 (0)6221/ 905110
Fax:   +49 (0)6221/ 9051155

Address valid until 8/31/2000
Postal Mail:
Hardenbergplatz 2
D-10623 Berlin
Germany

Phone:  +49 (0)30/ 25 42 30 17
Fax:    +49 (0)30/ 25 42 30 99

---

From: "Yoram Snir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:34:08 +0200

The QPIM next revision,  that will be available very shortly will include
some additions and editorial changes that are the result from the few
comments we got in the last 6 months.

As for your 3rd point about filters, QPIM will include a "filter" class that
would allow reusable compound conditions. This class would allow the
definition of any Boolean expression currently possible with simple
conditions under the policy rule and reusing this Boolean expression in more
than one rule.

The 1st and 2nd points require some thinking and looking into the value if
adding classes to the QPIM, that are not qos related.

------------------------------------------
Yoram Snir - Manager, Business Development
Cisco Systems
Tel.     +972-9-9700085
Mobile   +972-54-970085
------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Marcus Brunner
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 4:28 PM
To: IETF Policy WG
Subject: MPLS & QPIM

Dear all,

                        SignalControlAction
                         /               \

SignalControlAction

RSVPSignalControlAction

2) Traffic profile

3) Filters

Marcus

--

Dr. Marcus Brunner

---

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:37:35 +0200

Yoram,

At least the traffic profile (2) is clearly QoS related. The signaling
control I`m not sure. At least in your current draft you have the class
for RSVP. The omnly thing I am asking to make the classes less RSVP
dependent.

Let me know if you thought about it.

Marcus

-- 

Dr. Marcus Brunner