Subject: COPS/Policy Activities at upcoming iBANDatISPCON event

From: Jason Utz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:41:51 -0700

I wanted to give you a heads-up on the sessions  at the upcoming iBAND at
ISPCON event that are most relevant to this list:

"COPS Management for MPLS Traffic", Fran Reichmeyer, PfN Inc.

"QoS and Policy-Based Routing", Bora Akyol, Pluris 

"Standard for Application Programming Interfaces", Pierre Lin, Verizon
Communications & Satoshi Yoshizawa, Hitachi America 

These are just a few of the technical sessions at this year's 5th iBAND
conference and showcase, co-located with ISPCON this year at the San Jose
Convention Center, November 8-10. Internet Traffic Management, Service
Provisioning and Performance Measurement are the themes of the event.

<bold>For more event information, go to:
http://events.stardust.com/iband

Before October 25, 2000, you can sign up for the event, get all the
sessions free in MP3 format 

and get a $100 discount by going to
https://events.stardust.com/iband/special/register_offer.htm

and using the following registration code: POLICY 

</bold>----------------------

Other Event Highlights

----------------------

Keynotes

--------

* Content Delivery: A New World ofTechnology, Business & Value-Added
Services

Z. Alan Fink, Sr. Vice President & General Manager, Adero & Jim
Ricotta,Senior Director, Marketing Cisco Systems

* Internet Infrastructure: Why We Can't Just Paint Over the Cracks

Judy Estrin, Chief Executive Officer, Packet Design, Inc.

* Creating, Provisioning and Managing IP Services Under Massive
Commercial Pressures 

Charles Muirhead, Founder, Orchestream and iGabriel.net  

<bold><underline>BOFs

</underline></bold>* What's new in network processing and the CPIX
Forum's role in it

  Colin Mick, CPIX Forum  Steve Jacobson, RealNetworks

* The Technical Needs of Content Peering

  Mark Day, Cisco Systems & Brad Cain, Mirror Image Internet

* Enabling QoS at the Network Edge

  Manickam "Sri" Sridhar, Sitara Networks

* Policy-based Configuration Management

  Art Mellor, Gold Wire Technology

* Riding the Wave of Streaming Video

  Bodhi Mukherjee, InfoValue Computing

* Internet2

  Russ Hobby, UC Davis

<bold><underline>iBAND Showcase

</underline></bold>The iBAND Showcase is the fourth in a series of
networks engineered by members of 

the QoS Forum and exhibitors at the iBAND event -- It will feature:

* Accelerated Application Services

* Intelligent Network Infrastructure

* Service Management

* Network Performance Tools

<bold><underline>Relevant Sessions

</underline></bold>I4 - Standard for Application Programming Interfaces
for QoS Aware IP Network

Pierre Lin, Verizon Communications

Satoshi Yoshizawa, Hitachi America

Open programmable interfaces are required to control, manage and compose
network resources across various QoS-ready network elements. Significant
progress has been made on a reference model, working drafts and working
prototypes via the IEEE P1520 Standard Working Group, culminating with a
joint technology demonstration at Telecom 99. The first draft standard of
the APIs for IP networks is to be published by October 2000. These
efforts will benefit network service developers and application vendors
who would like to implement and deploy novel traffic management 
schemes.

I5 - COPS Management for MPLS Traffic Engineering

Fran Reichmeyer, PfN Inc.

MPLS provides a set of functionality that satisfies several requirements
for performing traffic engineering in the network. The COPS protocol can
be used to manage those MPLS features that are responsible for
provisioning network resources for use by the MPLS traffic. Applying COPS
in this way offers several advantages such as having a single management
mechanism for provisioning, for the dynamic mapping of traffic onto MPLS
tunnels, as well as for monitoring and maintaining tunnel performance.

I6 - QoS and Policy-Based Routing at Wire Speed

Bora Akyol, Pluris

As Internet traffic demands accelerate, service providers cannot afford
to have much-needed prioritization mechanisms slow throughput.
Next-generation IP core equipment must offer extensive classification,
policing, queuing, congestion management, and shaping capabilities while
at the same time enabling service providers deliver scalable services at
line-rate performance. This presentation will address the ASIC
classification, policing, and shaping capabilities to create and provide
such services as well as explain the software attributes necessary to
meet the demands of providing quality of service at multi-gigabit
interface speeds.