Subject: QoS Policy Information Model draft

From: "Yoram Snir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:02:11 +0200

All
A new (-02) version of the QoS Policy Information Model draft
(draft-ietf-policy-qos-info-model-02.txt) is available. We tried to answer
all the concerns and comments we received on the previous version of the
draft.
It includes the following changes from the previous version:

1. Some of the classes defined in QPIM are intended for usage outside the
scope of QoS domain. The concept of conditions as building blocks of
filters, the basic condition structure of <variable operator value>, the
concept of variable binding and the concept of variable to
value relationship are valuable to domains out side QoS policy. In order to
allow more natural usage of these concept in other domains, the relevant
classes prefix was changed from qosPolicyXXX to gpsPolicyXXX and properties
prefix was changed from qpPolicyXXX to
gpPolicy ,i.e., general policy XXX.

2. The notion of a class representing a filter or a Boolean expression made
of policy conditions, that could also serve as a reusable filter was added.
The class gpsPolicyCompoundCondition allows the definition of a flexible
reusable filter, leveraging the mechanism defined in CPIM for associating
policy conditions to a policy rule .

3. This draft was updated to be compatible with the latest PCIM draft.

4. PHB Actions added to allow full coverage of the QoS policy model required
for definition of policies for a differential service domain. References to
external PHB definitions removed.

5. Alignment between policy definition of QPIM and low level PIB / MIB Was
illustrated.

6. Reuse of Policy groups and their QPIM extensions, gpsPolicyGroups and
Policy rules were explained and examples were added.

7. Role usage in the context of QoS policy was explained. No new concepts
were introduced. Role were also defined per gpsPolicyGroups.

8. Change gpsPolicyMeter to include a traffic profile and scope. The
previous way of binding the meter the traffic profile and a scope using a
provisioning action could lead to inconsistencies if not used properly.

9. Clarification of the use of gpValueTypes property of values and the
meaning of table 3.

10. Rewriting the draft in a storage independent way. The previous draft was
not general enough. Added appropriate association and aggregations and
removed references from objects. Changed text
appropriately.

11. qpsNamedPolicyContainer class name was changes to gpsPolicyGroup to
allow for usage outside the scope of QoS domain.

The draft is available in via ftp (util the ietf repository updates):
ftp ftpeng.cisco.com.
user: anonymous
cd ietf-policy-wg (under login dir)
get draft-ietf-policy-qos-info-model-02.txt

Enjoy

Yoram Snir