Subject: Draft Minutes from Policy WG Sessions in San Diego

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:09:33 -0500

Hi,

Section 1 is from the wrap-up charts which we discussed at the end of each
session, and combines the action items from both days.  Joel and I turned
in this summary section (just Section 1), as our report to Bert on the
results of our meetings.

Section 2 is from my notes for Monday's session.

Section 3 is from my notes for Wednesday's session.

I have not reviewed Sections 2 and 3 with anyone.

Fire away.  We need to turn these in with the the charts by the end of next
week.

I have everyone's charts.  Thank you for sending them to me.  I will submit
them with the revised minutes.

*************************************

Draft Summary and Minutes
Policy Framework Working Group Meeting
49th IETF, San Diego
Submitted by Ed Ellesson, December 22, 2000

1.   Summary and Action Items, combined from both wg sessions:

1.1   QDDIM: (QOS DiffServ Device Info Model, or QOS Datapath Device Info Model)

      -Differences with DiffServ are now resolved

      -Expect name change to the QDDIM draft to reflect generic qos datapath focus for
       traffic handling and conditioning (ie. not just diffserv), but qos signaling
       (control plane) will continue to be out of scope for this document.

       *  Action:  Bob Moore

      -Schedulers/Queues relationship: Expect co-author consensus to be posted on
       the policy mailing list, in approximately two weeks.

       *  Action:  Walter Weiss

1.2   QPIM:  (QOS Policy Information Model)

       *  Action:  QPIM Authors:

      -Overlap and linkage with QDDIM: Need added text/terminology to describe
       how/why policy objects are approached differently in QPIM, than from
       device level view in QDDIM.

      -Further clarification may be added to describe distinctions among the
       following functions:  Configuration, policy (operational behavior), and
       state.

      -QPIM continues to be device independent, and mechanism independent. Examples
       are needed that show the abstraction level for QPIM, including policy vs.
       mechanism.

      -A new PCIM extensions draft will be written, which describes generic PCIM
       functions that can be broken out separately from the current QPIM draft
       (ie. those that are not QOS-specific.  The first phase of this was agreed
       to be done by the current QPIM authors, themselves.

      -RSVP with diffserv in the same network. Positioning statement needed for
       this situation.

1.3   ICIM (IPSP Configuration Information Model):

      -The content of this document is owned by the IPSP working group.

      -Our liaison with IPSP (Lee Rafalow) will take a look at similarities with
       QPIM, to determine if there is any reason to recommend further harmonizing
       any of the functionality there with QDDIM or QPIM approaches, such as in
       the area of sequenced actions.

1.4   Packet classification work effort proposed:

      -Small design team will be formed to clearly document the motivations for the
       differing approaches to packet classification across QDDIM, QPIM and ICIM.
       This team will clearly express the design goals of each approach