Subject: AO/DI - How to authenticate?

From: Riegel Maximilian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:16:31 +0100

I went through the AODI ID <draft-ietf-pppext-aodi-01.txt> to get some
information about authentication issues on the initial connection over X.25
in the D-channel as well as additional connections in the B-channels but
didn't find much.

Is a PPP authentication phase mandatory for the initial PPP connection in
the D-channel as well as for every additional Multilink PPP channel over
B-channels, or is it more common to use phone numbers for authentication?

Any hints and opinions are appreciated.

Kind regards

Max
____________________________________________________________
Maximilian Riegel, Siemens ICN M CS 21, Ph: +49 89 722 49557
Internet Standards,  email: [email-masked]

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 06:23:23 -0800

>B-channels, or is it more common to use phone numbers for authentication?

The choice of authentication is generally up to the entity accepting the 
incoming connection. No RFC mandates authentication. The PPP RFC's describe 
how to handle authentication if you wish to employ it.