Subject: Doubts in PPP-MP+

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:15:12 +0530

Hi,

Please clarify these doubts. 

* For what kind of remote configuration is MP+ used.
* Is MP+ interaction between two PPP peers.
* Should LCP negotiation be over before MP+ protocol starts to configure a remote station.

Thanks in advance,
Arul Mohan.

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jan 2000 07:06:25 -0500

> * For what kind of remote configuration is MP+ used.

It's intended for small remote access routers, preferably using ISDN,
like the Lucent/Ascend Pipeline 50.  (Note that it is an Informational
RFC.)

> * Is MP+ interaction between two PPP peers.

Yes.  All PPP protocols are used between two PPP peers.

> * Should LCP negotiation be over before MP+ protocol starts to configure a remote station.

Yes.  All PPP protocols other than LCP wait for LCP to go to Opened
state.  The LCP option that enables MP+ is negotiated in parallel with
all other LCP options.  The MP+ frames, however, must wait for LCP to
complete.  This means that MP+'s configuration features require the
"unconfigured" remote station to at least have physical link and LCP
configuration already set properly.

-- 
James Carlson, System Architect                     <[email-masked]>
IronBridge Networks / 55 Hayden Avenue   71.246W   Vox:  +1 781 372 8132
Lexington MA  02421-7996 / USA           42.423N   Fax:  +1 781 372 8090
"PPP Design and Debugging" --- http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp