Subject: Re: NT RAS CCP oddity

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:30:21 -0700 (MST)

> From: Jonathan Goodchild <[email-masked]>

> ...
> It appears that RAS is unable to deal with the incoming TCP packets until
> the CCP negotiation completes.  If RAS is reconfigured to disable CCP (not a
> straightforward change - you need to hack the RAS registry entry) then
> everything works fine.
>
> Now my interpretation is that it should be possible to transfer IP data as
> soon as IPCP negotiation has completed, regardless of the state of CCP
> negotiation.

You are right.  It is a serious bug that betrays either unacceptable
sloppiness in testing or a fundamental lack of understanding of how
networks should work.

> Anyone have any views?

I've heard similar reports of failures to work for minutes at a time until
CCP negotiations time out, possibly in other implementations.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:11:26 -0800

> > soon as IPCP negotiation has completed, regardless of the state of CCP

It depends.  If encryption (MPPE) is configured on the NT side, then it makes no
sense to transmit data until the CCP negotiation is complete, in fact it would be
a serious security hole.  This is because MPPE is negotiated as part of CCP.