Subject: mailing list archives

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:41:41 -0700 (MST)

What has happened the the mailing list archive?
My old notes as well as http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pppext-charter.html
point to ftp://merit.edu/pub/ietf-ppp-archive, but merit.edu does
not answer port 21 or 80.
ftp://ftp.merit.edu/oldmerit/pub/ietf-ppp-archive/ says they are
in  ftp://ftp.merit.edu/mail.archives/ietf-ppp-archive/, but that
directory is empty and ftp://ftp.merit.edu/oldmerit/pub/ietf-ppp-archive/
contains logs through at least part of March 1999.

I'm looking to see if there has been any discussion of
draft-onoe-proxy-server-option-00.txt I think that the stupid, nonstandard,
embrace-and-extend Microsoft DNS LCP option notwithstanding, putting HTTP
proxy searching into IPCP is a very bad idea.

It is my impression that the general feeling of the working group is
that standard IP mechanisms should be used over all links, including
PPP.  If that is close to the consensus, the working group should
publish an RFC to squelch future efforts like the Microsoft DNS LCP
option and draft-onoe-proxy-server-option-00.txt

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:10:53 -0500

> What has happened the the mailing list archive?

Merit moved a bunch of its mail stuff around a while back, and not
everyone noticed. This is not the first WG to have discovered the
merit archive has changed. Until its properly located, there is a
backup at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/pppext

Thomas