Subject: (ML)PPP State Machine Issues

From: Henrik Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:37:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Please forgive me if I'm missing what ought to be "common 
knowledge":

I've seen problems with (ML)PPP LCP/NCP negotiation sequences 
that didn't converge even when the two ends agreed on all 
options.

I have a couple of changes to the RFC1661 state machine that 
seem to solve the problem and be backwards compatible but, I 
was wondering whether any specified or de-facto standard 
solution already exists that I'm not aware of ?

(While useful for realigning two ends using different timer
algorithms/constants, exponential timeout doesn't always help
in the case where the two ends use the same algorithm.)

Thanks,
  Henrik Kristensen
  Mayan Networks

---

From: Archie Cobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:56:53 -0800 (PST)

> that didn't converge even when the two ends agreed on all 

In my experience this is usually because the link latency is
too high compared to the retransmit delay... does increasing
the retransmit time not solve your problem?

-Archie

___________________________________________________________________________
Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com