Subject: Protocol Action: PPP Bridging Control Protocol (BCP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 13:21:21 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'PPP Bridging Control Protocol
(BCP)' <draft-ietf-pppext-bcp-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links.  PPP
defines an extensible Link Control Protocol, and proposes a family of
Network Control Protocols for establishing and configuring different
network-layer protocols.

This document defines the Network Control Protocol for establishing
and configuring Remote Bridging for PPP links.

This document obsoletes RFC 1638, which was based on the IEEE
802.1D-1993 MAC Bridge. This document extends that specification by
including the IEEE 802.1D-1998 MAC Bridge and IEEE 802.1Q Virtual LAN
(VLAN) standards. This document also improves the protocol in order to
support high-speed switched LANs.

Working Group Summary

There was WG support for this document. Some minor issues were raised
(and resolved) during the Last Call period.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten

Note to RFC Editor:

In the first sentence of the second paragraph of the Acknowledgments
section, delete the two words "proposed Standard", producing:

   This document is based on the PPP Bridging Control Protocol, RFC
   1638 [10], edited by Rich Bowen of IBM and produced by the
   Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions Working Group.

and

Change the title of section 6 from "Change Log" to "Changes from
RFC 1638".