Subject: Re: PPP Multiplexed Frame Option - Working Group Last Call

From: Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 14:12:37 -0400

Hi folks,

This is just a reminder that the deadline for working group comments on this 
draft is nearly here.

Karl

At 11:50 AM 5/18/00, Karl Fox wrote:
>This is last call.  I will advise the area directors that we want to take 
>PPP Multiplexed Frame Option (<draft-ietf-pppext-pppmux-00.txt>) to Proposed 
>Standard on June 2, 2000 unless there is substantive comment raised on this 
>list.

Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Key fingerprint = 5B15 7260 D55E D680 0B93  4953 8A3B AB0E C05D 77A3

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:48:20 +0200 (MET DST)

I'm sorry this is coming so late, but my brain has been washed this
week by the interim meeting of the ROHC working group (where saving a
byte gives you some unknown multiple of $1000000000).

It occurs to me that in many applications, one byte per frame can be
almost always saved by allowing PFF=0 for the first subframe in the
frame.
The default protocol ID (i.e., initial value of Last_PID used for
each frame) could be defined in the negotiation.

So, preferably, I'd propose to change the option to:

       0                   1                   2                   3   
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |   Type = 30   |   Length = 4  |        Defgult PID            |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

If this is not acceptable due to existing implementations, this could
be left as an option (but options are not good), with the

       0                   1
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |   Type = 30   |   Length = 2  |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

format remaining.  To simplify code, I'd still propose to have a
default default PID in this case, e.g. 0021, barring existing
implementations.

I'll provide a proposal for (small) text changes if the WG thinks this
is useful.

Gruesse, Carsten