Subject: LCP option 0 with length 4??

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:22:09 -0400

Does anyone know why a peer would send me the following LCP option:
0x000400000
     Option Code   0
     Option Length 4
     Option Value  0x0000

I looked at RFC 2153 and it states that the minimum length for the vendor
specific option is supposed to 6 bytes. My implementation doesn't support
option 0 so it just send a config reject for this without really noticing
the length. But I'm curious so I figured I'd post this note to see if
anyone else on the list had an insight.

-john martz, 8-852-5539,  [email-masked]
IBM AS/400 TCP/IP PPP development (and stuff)

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:27:21 -0400 (EDT)

> Does anyone know why a peer would send me the following LCP option:

Yes.  The peer is an old Ascend box, and it's trying to negotiate MP+.

> anyone else on the list had an insight.

That's the right way to handle it.

-- 
James Carlson, Internet Engineering       <[email-masked]>
SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677
"PPP Design and Debugging" --- http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp