Subject: Termination of a PPP link.

From: Muralidhar Rayapeddi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:51:09 +0530

hi,
I have a scenario where the LCP, IPCP & CCP negotiations have gone
to the OPENED state & the link is up. Now when the administrator wants
to down the link (sends CLOSE  & DOWN event) then does that mean
there is a CCP terminate req, ack getting exchanged, IPCP term req, ack
getting exchanged and finally lcp term req & ack.
Please clarify.

Thanks,
Murali.

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:31:07 -0400 (EDT)

> getting exchanged and finally lcp term req & ack.

While it's certainly legal to do that, there's no need for it.  Most
implementations send only LCP Terminate-Request in order to shut down
a link.  Even that much is not required -- you can just drop carrier
if you want (assuming, of course, that the physical layer you're using
has some notion of "carrier detect").

Also, for what it's worth, there's no reason to serialize the NCPs.
You could (if you chose to) shut down IPCP and CCP at the same time by
sending IPCP Terminate-Request and CCP Terminate-Request.  You don't
have to wait for Terminate-Ack before shutting down another NCP.

There's also no implied ordering to the NCPs.  You do not have to shut
them down in the order in which you brought them up.

-- 
James Carlson, Internet Engineering       <[email-masked]>
SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677
"PPP Design and Debugging" --- http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp