Subject: RE: Should PPP over AAL2 be a PPPEXT Work Group Item?

From: Mike McLoughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:16:05 -0500

I agree with Bruce and Pietro that PPP over AAL2 should be a working group
item for it is valid work, and adds efficiencies not afforded by PPP over
AAL5.

As Bruce presented at the pppext meeting on Tuesday, the ITU-T has also
added this AAL2 application to the work of Question 2/13 that is responsible
for ATM and AALs.  Q2/13 will develop an SSCF above the I.366.1 SSCS for a
more generic interface with PPP.

Mike McLoughlin
Advanced Switching Communications
Vienna, Va. 22182
Tel: 703-288-8022
FaX: 703-448-5590

-----Original Message-----
From: Pietro Schicker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 8:32 AM
To: Bruce A Thompson; [email-masked]
Cc: Thomas Narten; Erik Nordmark; Karl Fox; Allison Mankin;
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Should PPP over AAL2 be a PPPEXT Work Group Item?

As Bruce has pointed out, transport of small PPP (such as RTP encapsulated
voice) over AAL type 5 carries a heavy overhead burden. This burden is much
relieved by utilizing AAL type 2 which has been defined (in addition to AAL
type 5) just for the purpose of small frame transport.

As bandwidth preservation is -- in many instances -- a non-negigable
concern, I strongly support the development of a PPP over AAL type 2 as a
transport encapsulation for ATM networks.

Regards  -  Pietro

At 19:36 2000-12-12 -0800, Bruce A Thompson wrote:
>I am sending this email to the PPPEXT working group as an action from the
working group meeting this evening in San Diego.
>
>We need the members of the PPPEXT working group to decide whether or not
to include draft-buffam-avt-crtp-over-aal2-01.txt as a working group item
for PPPEXT.
>
>We are proposing PPP over AAL2 as a transport encapsulation for ATM
networks. It is being proposed as an alternative to PPP over AAL5. The main
reason for the proposal is to gain bandwidth efficiency for PPP links that
will be used predominately for small packet traffic (like RTP encapsulated
voice).
>
>I have attached the presentation I made this afternoon to the PPPEXT
working group. The presentation gives an overview of the draft and the
benefits of running PPP over AAL2 as opposed to PPP over AAL5 and
PPP/PPPMUX/AAL5.
>
>Please respond to this email with whether you support or oppose including
PPP over AAL2 as a PPPEXT work group item along with the reasoning why.
>
>Thanks greatly,
>
>	Bruce T 
>Attachment Converted: "G:\TEMP\Mime-Scicon\ppp-over-aal2-01-001.ppt"
>Bruce Thompson
>Cisco Systems : IOS Products
>email: [email-masked]
>office: (408)527-0446
>home office: (408)868-0112
>San Jose, CA

---------------------
Dr. Pietro Schicker
Scientific Consulting
Oberhöhe
CH-8340 Ringwil
Tf: +41 1 938 1555
Fx: +41 1 938 1557